All The Books

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Pamela Smith
    Participant
    @pamela-smith

I buy art books,look at them thoroughly,don’t ever try the exercises but put some of it to use and always have them to refer to…Sometimes I buy a book just to look at in disbelief,like The Eye and the Heart watercolors by John Stuart Ingle.Amazing work…

Mary Roff
    Participant
    @mary-roff

Love Jean Haines Atmospheric Watercolors.  Watched her paint in a free demo when she was here for a workshop last year…her painting style is amazing!  She makes it look so easy.

Mary Roff
    Participant
    @mary-roff

I do the same thing, Pamela.  Just ordered a watercolor book for a friend for Christmas…and have to admit, ordered a copy for myself too.

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

I have yet to share the watercolor books I like (I will, tough month) but I thought to share these.  If you want to understand buildings and cities better, I recommend these, and the used books are just fine (nothing that will effect you has been added):

If you want a couple of good books to help you understand what you are seeing (or what architects SHOULD see when they look because of their background), I recommend Frank Ching‘s books (BTW, also an urban sketcher out of Seattle.) To understand building construction (and while there is a house on the cover he discusses many building ideas): Building Construction Illustrated.  https://www.amazon.com/Building-Construction-Illustrated-Francis-Ching/dp/0471288853/ref=la_B001H6NK1W_1_18?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512489906&sr=1-18&refinements=p_82%3AB001H6NK1W

To understand what you are seeing in plazas, streets, the cities, universities, what you are walking through and effected by: Architecture: Form, Space and Order. https://www.amazon.com/Architecture-Space-Francis-D-K-Ching/dp/0471286168/ref=la_B001H6NK1W_1_16?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512489906&sr=1-16&refinements=p_82%3AB001H6NK1W

For a wonderful illustrator of the built life, and something you can share with your kids and grand-kids, look at David MacAuley‘s books. Great style, will teach while entertaining you, good examples of linework, worth having one in your library. I recommend the older version which are NOT colored — the black and white drawings are so charming!!  City; Mill; Underground; Castle.   https://www.amazon.com/David-MacAulay/e/B000AP72G0

Sharon Nolfi
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

Thanks, Kate for these suggestions. I like to sketch architecture and would like to study it more. I’ve taken Stephanie Bower’s classes on Craftsy and also Liz Steele’s Buildings course.

Dwayne Antonio Richardson
    Participant
    @dwayne-a

What do you ladies and gents suggest for the first watercolor instructional book? I believe it will bring structure to the random learning on Youtube.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Dwayne, Gordon MacKenzie’s ‘Keep Painting‘ is a good basic book with a lovely balance of instruction and exercises.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account