Another salt question

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  MMcBuck 1 year ago.

• Author
     MMcBuck 
    Participant
    @mmcbuck

I’m about to do a close up painting of a dog with a pink nose. The nose is very prominent in the painting, and I’m wondering if you all think I should use a little salt to get the texture, or just leave it alone. The texture in the reference looks like tiny cells, and I’m not going that far.

Thanks!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Salt is definitely an option, especially if you are going with a very loose style.  You could also cover everything but the nose, and try some light splattering (possible even just with water).  You could also just add some dots to imply the small cells where they are most prominent.  Usually, if you add just a few, the viewer will fill in the rest.

MMcBuck 
    Participant
    @mmcbuck

Thanks Sandra. I should try the dots, but so far I’ve left it alone. Thanks again!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account