Characteristics of Watercolor

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katie Jones 5 days, 12 hours ago.

• Author
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

While writing my review of the Daniel Smith Ultimate Mixing Set, I had to think about all the characteristics of watercolor and how they might affect the results that an artist might get because of them.  I’m fortunate in a way, in that I like to experiment and enjoy finding how the characteristics work.

Not everyone enjoys that. In fact, most people soon find a preference, but often they aren’t quite sure why they like a certain color and simply limit their palette.  That can actually be helpful in the beginning, but can also limit what is possible.

I found this glossary of terms at Green Leaf & Blueberry that I think explains the various characteristics in  a way that’s easy to understand.

https://www.greenleafblueberry.com/blogs/news/watercolor-characteristics-getting-acquainted-with-the-colors-in-your-palette

Katie Jones 
    Participant
    @katie_2

Watercolor paints basically consist of two main components: pigment and a binding medium.

There are 4 basic characteristics of watercolor:

1. Transparency and opacity

2. Staining and non-staining paints

3. Granulating quality

4. Fugitive and non-fugitive paints

Watercolor puts the fun and freedom in the abstract art. With the help of watercolor paints, you can also create famous abstract paintings.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account