Da Vinci watercolors

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Tonya L 18 hours, 59 minutes ago.

• Author
     Kate Powell 
    Participant

Anyone use Da Vinci watercolors regularly?   I am curious!

Charlie O’Shields 
    Keymaster

I’ve been using them regularly over the past month and had the pleasure of touring their facility last Thursday. It was such a fun experience! As for the paints, I’m loving them! Rich and vibrant colors and they rewet just as well as honey-based paints even though they’re gum arabic. (which would be great for urban sketchers who say they have a problem with attracting bees with the honey-based paints… hehe). They have a special rewetting agent that works in the same way. But, what I’m loving is that honey tends to “set in” so it’s hard to lift if you make a little error. With these, I’ve been able to go back and lift color a bit and smooth shadows in a way that blends better than honey-based. So I’m a total fan!!

Kate Powell 
      Participant

I had to order items for the project and as it is back-to-school sales on I bought three colors to try.  Whenever I want to try a paint I buy their Quin Gold… I will use it up and it is a favorite and I get a good comparison now.  Haven’t done enough with them yet…  I am going to be in Santa Barbara in October (planned but who knows) for business and also may try for a tour.

June Hadaway 
    Participant

Good to know about the bees. I would have never thought about that. 🐝

Kate Powell 
      Participant

I’ve heard this but I’ve not experienced it.  MGraham doesn’t dry fast enough for me in PNW to use outside the studio often.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

I’ve heard it too, but never had the problem myself.  But then I leave my palettes open when I’m at home (something that M. Graham recommends), so that may make a difference.

Kate Powell 
      Participant

I also have them slightly open —

June Hadaway 
    Participant

I just received my sample dot palette of Da Vinci watercolors today that I won during World watercolor month. It’s exciting to be able to try the paint first and so very nice of Da Vinci to be a sponsor in July.

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

That’s awesome, June! Be sure to let us know what you think of them after you’ve had a chance to play! 😉

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Taking Da Vinci Alzarin Crimson out for a trial with Matteo Grilli Crimson too… https://dkatiepowellart.me/2017/09/09/alzarin-gladiolas/

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Rose Dore is such a gorgeous color for flowers…. https://dkatiepowellart.me/2017/09/08/peach-glads/

Tonya L 
      Participant

Oh that is a gorgeous color! It looks like a warm quin rose, similar to a quin red, or a light carmine on my screen.

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Okay, I love all of them…  Tested the Quin Gold against some others (big Quin Gold fan — I use tunes of it!)
    I realized too late I left out MGraham Quin/Nickel color… but not that fond of.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by  Kate Powell.
       Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Aww cool!! Yeah, I’m really loving these paints as well! So vibrant!!

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Okay, I love all of them…  Tested the Quin Gold against some others (big Quin Gold fan — I use tunes of it!)
    I realized too late I left out MGraham Quin/Nickel color… but not that fond of.

Kate Powell 
    Participant

I am amazed at how thick the translucent Rose Dore (from the glads above) can be laid in.  Two layers and it almost looks like acrylic.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2017 Doodlewash® | Privacy & Cookie Policy | Disclosure

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account