Did I buy a bad tube or an off brand?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Cheryl Ploegstra 11 months ago.

• Author
     Cheryl Ploegstra 
    Participant
    @cploeg_again

Sorry if I’m posting this in the wrong place, but I didn’t see another place for questions.

After buying luscious, lovely, but pricy Daniel Smith paints, I was lured by the quantity of paint in the Lukas Aquarell 1862 brand. To try it out, I bought a couple of greens I needed to round out my palette, and a tube of Opaque White (1007).

Well, the Lukas Chromium Oxide Green is lovely. A wonderful mixing green.

But the Opaque White dried like chalk and fell out of the pan in chunks. I rewetted it a lot and really tamped it down in the pan, but it looks like I might have to keep a moist constantly or cover the pan in order to keep it there.

What is your experience? Is this just one bad tube? Are all Opaque Whites like this? Should I look to other brands? Or switch to a guache for white?

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I seldom use white watercolor. I use the white of the paper and if I need to add white highlights, I use an opaque ink, gouache, or even white gel pen.  I don’t think all opaque whites are that way however.  I’d write to the company and ask for a replacement if you intend to use much of it.  If nothing else, this will tell you something about the customer service of the company, and whether that particular color consistently dries like that.

Kate Powell 
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Sounds like a bad tube, so I agree with Sandra.  I also don’t use much white, but the white I have happens to be M.Graham, and it is lovely and creamy.  I tend to use it to get the paint colors for Victorian houses…  I recommend it, and also Da Vinci has a nice white and they are a good price and excellent paints.

Cheryl Ploegstra 
    Participant
    @cploeg_again

Sandra and Kate. Thanks so much for your advice.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account