DIY Travel Palettes

This topic contains 277 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 8 months ago.

• Author
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I need another travel palette like I need a hole in the head, but I’m constantly on the prowl for tins or plastic boxes that can be used to make another.  My favorite so far was made from a Thayers lozenge tin.   They’re 3.2 x 3.2 inches.

DIY Travel Palette made from Thayers Lozenge

• This topic was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Sandra Strait.
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

My photo doesn’t seem to be showing up in the original post, so I’m trying again.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Question: In one of my travel palette tins, I painted the inside of the lid with white enamel paint so I could use it for mixing.  It seems to work really well, but I’m wondering if there is anything in the enamel that might eventually damage my brushes or cause problems with the paint.  Anyone know?

Thomas Blanchard 
    Participant
    @thomas

I wouldn’t think so.  Once dry it should be pretty stable.

Kai Ezenami 
    Participant
    @kai-ezenami

Like Tomas said, its very stable once dry, I have dozens of custom boxes Ive made over the years. No problems no damage.  Enamel is afterall what manufacturers use in the boxes we buy. I prefer using white car enamel (the spray cans u buy in automotive section for covering up dents and scratches on your car) its a bit more expensive but I found it to be less staining.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Thomas! That’s what I was hoping to hear.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you Kai! I have a can of enamel that I’ll use up, but I’ve got lots of tins to use it on so I’ll be buying more soon, and this time I’ll use the spray can.

Paula Langford 
    Participant
    @paula

If you want it to be really durable, you can bake it in the oven for a couple of hours on a low heat after you’ve painted it. A toothpaste with baking soda or peroxide will clean them up if they start to get stained.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Paula! Both good things to know!

Sandra Gilbert 
    Participant
    @sandra-gilbert

Magic erasers are also useful for getting stains out of palettes.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Sandra!  I use magic erasers to lift color sometimes, but hadn’t thought about using them to clean palettes.

Sandra Gilbert 
    Participant
    @sandra-gilbert

Hold up… you can use magic erasers to lift color? I so have to try that. I wonder if I have a clean one to any with….. Goes off to check.

Thomas Blanchard 
    Participant
    @thomas

Oh yes it works great!  Check out the videos on YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=watercolor+Magic+eraser+&spfreload=1    

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Lol! I was going to leave a link for you, but Thomas got there before me.  I find the only problems with using them is in only lifting the area you want, and that they can be harsher on the paper.  The videos give you some ideas on how to avoid either one.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

yay, fantastic idea Kai. I knew about normal enamel but hadn’t purchased as I didn’t know which kind. Now I can go find car enamel and paint the inside of my boxes (and correct color damage on old ones, lol) Thanks again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 278 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account