DIY Travel Palettes

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

That sounds like a fabulous idea. I’ll have to find the tubes so I can remember which ones I have.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

After reading the new topic, started by Lisa Sandboge, about Kremer watercolors, I was looking through their online store and came across these metal full pans.   A bit spendy at $2.80 USD for 1 pan (4,2 x 2,2 x 2 cm/1.6x .86 x .78 in), but interesting.

Debra “Kate” Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

I saw them, but her site doesn’t look like she is a water colorist and her paints don’t say artist or student quality (so probably like Prima) so the color didn’t seem worth the price.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

That was my thought.  Prima calls their sets Professional, and I don’t agree with that.  I get the feeling that Jane’s are very like, if not the same.  I like the colored tins, but just haven’t been able to spring for the money without having spoken to someone who has used them.

Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Hi! I feel like you all are my people!!! Love this thread.

I’ve been working on DIY palettes for a while now — it all started when I wanted to make a super portable one for lightweight backpacking. But then there’s always the push/pull between small and having MOAR colors right???

Anyhow here’s a super cute tin that the husband found me when we were visiting the Pioneer Woman Mercantile in Oklahoma this summer — I haven’t decided what colors to put in there yet but I HAD to get it!!

It only holds 4 half pans but it’s so cute and it makes me smile everytime I see it — right now I’ve been keeping it out on my desk 🙂

Here it is with another DIY palette I made for comparison

This chocolate palette has a bunch of “unusual” colors that I use the most and I take it with me when traveling. A bunch of the colors are from Case For Making in San Francisco and some are ones I made myself after taking a workshop with them! It was so cool to make watercolor! I have a regular tin box watercolor palette that I use for the “normal” colors but it’s not DIY 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Lisa Spangler.
    Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Ahhh I love that Darth Vader!!! And it makes perfect sense 🙂

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Yep, Lisa, I can see that you are going to fit into this group quite well!  I love both of your tins and lust after them, lol.  I’ll have to see if I can find some for myself.

Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Here’s my Mayan palette from the other thread — it has Daniel Smith Mayan red, blue and yellow. Next time I fill it I’m going to add some glycerine or honey or something to hopefully help with shrinking and rewetting. It’s from a green tea mint tin I found at Trader Joe’s — those mints are so good! 🙂 I spray painted it white.

Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Here are a few more!

Clockwise from top left: that “random crap” tin cracked me — a friend found them and then I had to get one! It’s by BlueQ and I think I got it on amazon. Then there’s a mini gouache palette that I made using a tin that had a gift card in it and empty gum trays. There’s another tray under that top one with white/gold/gray/black etc.  The chamomile tea tin is currently empty but it came free in a box of tea, and last but not least an Altoids smalls palette that I used to use but moved the pans out. 🙂

Yeah I’m addicted lol!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

The Random Crap tin is a hoot!  I found the Nikola Tesla tin on Amazon, but it’s for a dozen, which would be a few too many, lol.  Looks like they have all sorts of different lids and flavors.  I’ll have to look for them elsewhere.  Couldn’t find the Muir chocolates – just as well. Chocolate, I don’t need!  Does the green tea lid have a plastic insert?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Now, you’ve got me looking at tins.  I found this pillbox, that actually has sections.  A bit too spendy because you’d use it for only two paints, but cute and different.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Ohhhh! The pill boxes!  Look at this one.  $11.99 is too much for this.  Right?

Anonymous

Hadn’t thought of pill boxes!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I hadn’t either for some reason – but aside from being small, they’ve got the pans already in them and everything!

Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Oh that is beautiful!!! Hmmm it is kinda spendy, but would it bring $12 worth of happiness when you used it? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account