DIY Travel Palettes

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 278 total)
  • Author
    Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’d love it if you had a giveaway! The more places that it’s mentioned the more people will find it!

I actually haven’t had many new followers in the last couple of years.  People don’t follow like they used to because they find it easier to find you on social media.  So I post links to my blog post on FB, Twitter, Instagram and Flickr and try to get them to my blog that way.

I do have a lot of hits, having just passed 2 million earlier this year.  That’s actually on the low side for the companies – I just barely slip through the door of their notice.  They want people who get a million hits a day.

One of the reasons I do my link list is because it gets people to my blog on a regular basis.  They know I post 3 times a week, and most of my followers will hit one or another of them every week.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

OOH, I was looking at these just the other day when I was replenishing my 005s that I go through the most, too hard on the nib. I’d love to enter. I’ve got you on bloglovin. I’ll definitely enter. Do you find doing giveaways helps build readers? what are your monthly stats? I’ve always wondered about giveaways. I hope your book is an instant hit.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I don’t get regular products from Sakura, but they are very generous with their products.  I posted a drawing I did with their gel pens on black paper and they asked to do use it for promotional purposes (though I don’t think they ever did).  In return they sent me a whole bundle of stuff.  I turned around and reviewed and gave some of it away.  So now, they contact me ever so often and ask if I want to try something new.

I haven’t had time to use their stuff as much recently, so I haven’t heard from them lately.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

gosh, I’m just hitting a million total in seven years. They want a million a day?? Well that would be nice. But you’ve gotta be kidding. LOL. I’d love that popularity. I’m thinking Instagram may help but not that much! How do you find the time to do it all?

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

gosh that would be kinda manna from heaven. I have to remember to post to their Facebook. I use pigma sakura ALL the time, couldn’t live without their pens.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

so, giveaway DONE. Just contact me when you want to promote it, I’ll be there! My email is thejaemac@shaw.ca, don’t feel shy, we both know we’re both busy. I have trouble remembering my name most days. Just poke me and I’ll get it up. :o) I think artists should all help one another, support is a great foundation for us all.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

You know, it’s hit or miss with the giveaways.  Usually I average around 50 entries, but I usually get about 400 or 500 hits.  I don’t know if they just come for the review and don’t care for the product, or just assume they’d never win.

Sometimes though, I’ll get maybe 3 entries and about 50 hits.  Some of that has to do with the time of the year.  I’m waiting for September to launch my FB group because summer time is slow.  I’ll slow down again in November, and die until January because of the holidays.  But sometimes it is just that I misjudge what my readers are interested in.

I’ve got an Excel Spreadsheet where I put my Blogger and Flickr stats and break them down by the type of post – watercolor, ballpoint pen, Zentangle, etc.  It helps me choose the giveaway item better if I’m going to spend money, or am trying to promote for a company’s product.

I decided on the Micron case, because I know that almost every type of my reader likes those pens, and that case is coool.  I really like mine, and I immediately bought another for the giveaway.  Usually, though, my personal giveaways are items that I’ve won or got as part of a bundle from a company.  When I got the Sakura bundle, I gave away three of the items.  I think it helps my readers feel like they are part of my good luck and that’s good, because they are.  I think it also shows the company in question that you are going to promote your their product.  The best thank you for any generosity!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Well, my house shows the neglect.  I don’t have children or pets (I really miss the pets! But we’re waiting til hubby retires).   Quite frankly, I rode the wave with Zentangle.  I started tangling just as the technique was becoming popular.  I was obsessing and got tired of waiting for new patterns so I made up my own.  A lot of other people were getting tired of waiting too, so they came flocking to my blog and a lot of them have stayed with me, even though Zentangle isn’t my main focus anymore.

There is a lot of luck involved in the timing of that kind of thing.  I haven’t been looking to make big money, just share my work and lessen the cost of buying art supplies, lol.  I think I’ve pretty much done what I’ve set out to do.

I probably would have written a Zentangle book but the Zentangle company makes their money by selling a Zentangle certification.  I never wanted to pay that money or follow the rules they set.  Non certified people who have written Zentangle books have been given deep grief – not by the company, but by the people who paid for certification.  I don’t agree with their attitude, but didn’t feel it was worth the hassle.  Mind you, I’m good friends with many of the CZTs,  most are very nice people.  There are always a few trolls in every apple barrel though.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

isn’t that funny about trolls? It sounds like we started Zentangling at the same time, I remember running out of inspiration and creating my own tangles wasn’t gonna be my thing. Back then I knew Creator’s Leaf, just before she started the blog. LOL. small world. I think my problem has been intrim  illness. I’d get sick and take six months off, you do that a couple times and you lose your followers.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

lol, that sounds like how my giveaway is going. Only 12 enteries. What I find weird  is that sometimes people make a comment to say, “no thanks”. Seriously? who doesn’t want a free book, a free ANYTHING. lol. I love your idea of giving away part of a stash you got from a patron. Now all I need is patrons!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I started tangling in 2009 when there had only been two or three CZT classes.  Are you in Alice Hendon’s Zentangle All Around group?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

It can be slow getting them.  It sounds like you are doing pretty well.  I’ve found it goes in cycles.  I think that the companies switch marketing strategies ever so often, and if you hit them when they’re going for word of mouth, you score.

How active are you on various social media? I find that’s one of things that often gets mentioned when a company contacts me – they saw my post on FB or Twitter etc.  I am friends with every company on those sites that I can think of, and I respond to their posts.  I share and retweet if the post is anything other than a direct sales pitch.

I have contacted companies and asked to review an item, but most of the time I just share my artwork.  If I already use any of their products, I review them (with artwork) and post about the review on their social media sites.  It doesn’t always pay off.  I never got Prima’s attention even though they featured a couple of my watercolors.  But I do get hits.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

This is a bad month for giveaways, etc.  I’m doing well with my Heritage with 54 entries, but I think that’s because it’s a fairly unique item with strong appeal to tanglers, and I managed to get some fairly terrific results with it.  I’m not tooting my own horn there.  The colors just popped on that paper, and it isn’t really even formulated for artwork.

If I’d posted this giveaway sometime between January and May, I’d probably have 150 entries by now.

Do you have many followers on Flickr?  I usually get quite a few entries by adding ‘GIVEAWAY’ on a copy of the item being given and posting it there with a link in the description.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

nope but I knew her when she first started and encouraged her to go for it, lol. When I saw her title on your blog I remembered. I must admit, after all these years I’d forgotten her name. Lovely to see someone succeed so well. I’d say thats when I was tangling too, just before I started painting. I was afraid to start painting, I wanted it so much I was afraid I wouldn’t be good enough and my dream would die. So I put it off by starting a high end wedding cake business, did that for around 8 years then Zentangles. Here’s a link to my cakes. The flowers are handmade out of cold porcelain and hand painted with food friendly powder colors. I still have all the tools but it wasn’t my passion, I wanted to paint. Strangely it was a natural talent, the flowers, I was totally self taught and actually went against the professionals and their books to do it al my own way. Flickr

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Hmm, again, I’ve been lazy, probably didn’t realize it made a difference. Everything posts to twitter and Facebook but I don’t go to the top sites’ pages and interact, I’ll have to start. I have to be more proactive. I’m thrilled that contacting companies has worked recently but I want them to come to ME.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 278 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account