Exploring Color Coloring Book by Nita Leland

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Way back when, Nita Leland published a ‘coloring book’ full of charts that was meant to be used with her workshop book ‘Exploring Color’.

Despite the fact that it says coloring book, it’s far more than that.

The book was printed on actual watercolor paper and has mixing charts and color wheels and value study charts for you to fill in with your own paints.  (Sorry to cover up, but I’m sure the book is under copyright, so I didn’t want to display full pages).

Now, the real bummer here is that the book is no longer published.  Currently, Amazon has new copies from 3rd party vendors starting around $95 and used copies starting around $65.  Too much for my blood.  However, I’ve been watching those used copies for a couple of years now, and a few weeks ago, one was offered for $2.11 plus $3.95 S&H! You better believe I took that offer, toot suite!

The down-side of ordering used is that I took the chance that some of the charts would have been painted already.  That was okay by me, but as luck would have it – the book really was almost as good as new.  There is some wear and tear on the holes around the wire binding, but the paper still looks pristine and nary a mark on any of them.

While the coloring book is more interesting if you have Nita’s ‘Exploring Color’ (which is a classic and highly recommended if you want to learn more about color.  It’s been reprinted several times, just re-issued earlier this year and you can find it cheap used).  If you don’t have it, the coloring book is still fantastic, if you are someone who likes to paint charts but hates making them (that would be me).

I’m not sure that I’ll actually paint in the book.  I may just use it as a reference to trace my own charts – or I may take the leap and fill it in.

While, I won’t recommend the book at today’s prices, I do think it was well worth the frequent checks I made until a reasonable price came up.  And it was absolutely, totally, 100% worth the $6.06 I ended up paying.  I would have bought it at around $30.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

thanks so much for this suggestion, it looks fantastic. Her book is now on my list to buy! She has a new offering on her exploring color and it looks fantastic.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

The 30th edition of the Exploring Color Workshop came out earlier this year.  I did get it, but honestly there wasn’t much difference from the previous version I had.  I think anyone who is interested in color mixing should have a copy of this book, but, if the pocketbook needs to be coaxed, an older version would be as good.  I’m glad to have both because I’ve managed to get paint on the old one.  This way I can keep the new one strictly for reading, and the old one when I’m using it to work on a chart I’m painting.

Sharon Nolfi
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

I’m currently ready the 30th Edition of Exploring Color Workshop, but I would love to get my hands on a copy of that coloring book! I also prefer painting in charts rather than setting them up. Sometimes I just paint swatches without bothering to draw squares, etc.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I do that too, but I’m never happy with them.  There is just something about the look of a well-made chart – it’s an art form of its own, lol.

Anonymous

Try checking out the UK Amazon site. I found a new one for £7.80 + 2.80 UK post. The prices you are quoting would make the additional postage worthwhile perhaps.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I just looked and the cheapest available on Amazon.UK at the moment is £82.11.  You have to strike fast if you see one cheap! It’ still a great idea!  I checked Amazon.Ca too.  Even though I’ve got a copy now, if the price is right I’ll probably buy another one or two.

Anonymous
    Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Rod!  This is the workshop though, not the coloring book.  Still worth the money, if I didn’t already have two copies, lol.  I have an older version as well as this 30th Anniversary edition.  The coloring book has been out of print for quite some time.

The Coloring Book has charts printed on watercolor paper, so you can easily do all the exercises that are in the workshop book.

Anonymous
    Sharon Nolfi
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

No, Rod. That is the first edition of Exploring Color (there is now a revised edition, which is why the one you found is cheaper). It’s a bit confusing as Sandra included a picture of the book you just found in her original post ( the second pic). The photo at the very beginning of her post -the Coloring Book – is the one with watercolor paper that she’s talking about here.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Nope.  This one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exploring-Color-Coloring-Nita-Leland/dp/0967780438/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1512772977&sr=1-4&keywords=exploring+colour+colouring+book

It probably never came out in a UK version so it has the ‘Color’ spelling instead of ‘Colour’.

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Sandra am I missing something?  Why a book on color mixing at all?  (Not talking about the watercolor book now — I get that.)  I had color mixing in high school and college… and so color theory is a yawn.  On the other hand, maybe I don’t see how it will help me to read things like this?  What say you!  (ps maybe we can also swap some books when the PDX group gets together…. I have some to swap.)

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

And Sandra, what do you think of Jean Dobie’s books on “Making Color Sing”?  I seem drawn to it then put it back….  Why do I assume you will know this?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Kate, I doubt you are missing anything, lol.  I’m pretty much self-taught from painting books.  I did have high school art, and a couple of night classes in oil, but the trend at the time was to not stifle creativity by teaching unnecessary stuff like technique or theory (I’m being sarcastic, but that was actually the attitude). Nita Leland’s first edition of her color mixing book was pretty much my introduction to the concept.

I seldom read the books cover to cover.  If I’m feeling stale or I get a new set of paints I sometimes go through the color-mixing books for ideas to set up a palette that is different for what I already have or to decide which colors will work best for the subject I have in mind.

What books do you have? I might be interested in trading if we have anything different from one another.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account