Fake urban sketching – need advice

This topic contains 23 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author
     Lisa Sandboge 
    Participant
    @lisa-sandboge

Yes I’ve seen her work Sharon, thanks! She’s great! Also, as a Swedish artist she manages to be a “real” urban sketcher even though the weather is crap so many months of the year. It’s amazing! It was awhile since I last checked out her webpage, but I did that just now and I’m really stunned by her work. It’s simple, yet so perfect. Amazing!

Sharon Nolfi 
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

Everybody check out the new Group on this site called Urban Sketching, created by Dominik Neuffer.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you for the heads up, Sharon!

Dominik Neuffer 
    Participant
    @dominik-neuffer

https://i1.wp.com/doodlewash.com/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/131291/pfdytapmz0zdd1aksaryiz3x4e3wgp6w.jpeg?resize=414%2C552&ssl=1

I sketched this yesterday on location. Now I’m defining the basic shapes at home with a large flat brush.

Dominik Neuffer 
    Participant
    @dominik-neuffer

More detail in a second go.

Dominik Neuffer 
    Participant
    @dominik-neuffer

The finished sketch. Last step was adding outlines with black ink and white gel pen.

I‘m far from being an expert, but that technique is the one which works faily well atm.

Kate Powell 
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Sharon I LOVE Nina’s work as well, especially when she steps off the page and adds colors that are not there, just because.  Red streets, orange skies…

Dominik Neuffer 
    Participant
    @dominik-neuffer

Currently, to revive this discussion, I start most of the times directly in ink. I use a fountain pen with a fine nib most of the times with Platinum pigment ink. The Platinum carbon black is absolutely waterproof. Only once a few of the pigments came off the page while coloring, I still wonder why – maybe a strange coated area on the paper.

Anyway, I then color it in with my watercolors and as I also add fake black for the darker values – green with indigo, brown mixed with phtalo blue, I use these darks also to refine the outlines. Also I usually add value to the initial ink sketch with diluted indian ink I carry in a waterbrush.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I love your style, Domink.  You always capture the energy and essence of the scene.  I think you are probably right about why the pigment comes off the paper sometimes.  External sizing can be uneven and since you are working on the paper while wandering, it could be something in the air that settles on the paper, that you don’t even notice.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account