Full vs. Half Pans

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Well I do not like the Schminke set I have at all, and the palette was warped.  I complained and the rep finally sent me a replacement, and a full pan of another color (third one over top row).  I am playing with it as it is less muddy… but overall, I think their paints are dull or lifeless. by comparison.  I’ve not had a tube, only the pan paints.  I can’t yet write my review of the paints… I am not sure why.  I keep trying to like them…

Sharon Nolfi
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

Kate and Sandra, do you remember the rep you dealt with?  I sent an email to Brigit Wolter at Schminke, but haven’t heard back, perhaps because of the holidays.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Sharon, it was Birgit Wolters that I dealt with.  I think that most of Europe shuts down Christmas week, so you aren’t likely to hear anything until after the New Year.  Have you contacted the people where you bought the set?  When we contacted Schmincke the problems had just started.  At this point, they may have set something up with the stores and you might get faster response from them.  I contacted both and just let Wet Paint know when Schmincke took care of the problem.

Teri Casper
    Participant
    @teric

My theory about brushes is, I don’t buy the cheapest but moderate priced brushes so when they wear out I throw them away and buy more.  The only ‘good’ brushes I have are my Escoda and they are starting to show wear.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Teri, I find cheaper brushes frustrating because I like one that holds lots of water and paint.  I’m hard on my brushes though so I do have cheaper ones that I try to remember to use when I get to a certain part of my painting.  When I’m doing washes though, I really like having a good brush. I’m pretty picky about how soft or stiff they are, as well.  I go with the Goldilocks method of paintbrushes. Not too soft, not too hard – they have to be juuuuuust right.

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

Oh my Kate, what is that beautiful palette with those juicy big mixing wells? LOVE!

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

It’s not just you, Sharon. Schmincke half-pans are tiny. Compared to Sennelier and other similar half-pans, they are thicker walled (which is good!) but that leaves less room for pigment (bad!). Plus, the walls are straight so the tops don’t have as much surface area to pull from.

I don’t use half pans, period, but I love Schmincke’s full-sized pans because they are so heavy duty. But yeah, their half pans are pretty terrible for brushes and painting all around.

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

Kate, I do love love love that Schmincke Carmine that you show there. It’s my favorite PV19 so far. I ordered DV Carmine to compare, but wondered if it might be closer to Rose Dore, but I think DV Rose More would be warmer. Since I didn’t want to spend any more money, if you have time, I’d love if you would compare the two for me. I’d love to match that Schmincke Carmine in another brand that works better in my hand than Schmincke.

Lee Angold
    Participant
    @leeangold

Regarding Schmincke (or really any other brand) I think the differences come down more to pigment selection within pre-made kits than overwhelming differences between paint brands.  For example, QOR made a really unique choice marketing the High-Chroma set and really positioned themselves as the maker of the brightest colours.  However, most of those pigments are available from all other manufacturers.  If you were to assemble the same colour selection using the equivalent pigments from Schmincke, you would get the impression like Schmincke has the loudest, brightest, colours.

In reality, Schmincke has a relatively large and diverse colour selection of 140 watercolours.  They have some bright and saturated ones, and some muted earth tones.  They have some uncommon transparent colours, and some very opaque ones. Their pre-made kits tend to be pretty middle-of-the-road, including “classic”  colours and not focusing on their most transparent or granulation or brightest colours.

That all being said, Schmincke paints do tend to be milled on the finer side, contain few dispersants and pack a slightly lower pigment load than Daniel Smith or M. Graham, so if you’re the kind of artist who wants to throw on a lot of saturated colours and watch granulation and bleeding and paint interactions happen, they might not be your brand.  On the other hand if you work in layers and value precision, you might value how “well-behaved”  Schmincke paints are. https://leeangold.com/2017/03/24/schmincke-horadam-dot-sheets-brand-review/

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

Oh my Lee, you nailed it! I’ll definitely head over to read your review next, but in the meantime, thanks for posting your insights about Schmincke… and other brands really. You very succinctly state what different artists tend to look for and prefer in various paints.

For example, I don’t care for uber-finely milled paints like QoR & Schmincke. It takes a different hand than mine, and they appear rather flat on a page, at least to me. But the less-than-finer milled paints with little dispersement and tons of granulation (like Daniel Smith) also don’t attract me – though I can fudge that dispersement issue if I presoak paper or add a medium.

It’s amazing how picky I can be, and I can only assume other artists are exactly the same, so it’s great that manufacturers create a lot of different paints.

I appreciate your thoughtful input on WHY we might prefer different brands. Very enlightening!

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

BTW Lee, haven’t completed your review yet but just looking at your dot card pics… ooooh that blossoming. Now that’s one thing I have loved about Schmincke. They are willing to let loose in a very controlled fashion that I think is stellar. (And reminds me of myself.) It’s the “stern” manner that you mention (that I find results in hard edges – so not me) that I don’t care for and has pretty much eliminated this brand for me.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Lee, I loved your review.  I think you are spot on with your assessment of the various brands and why an artist might like or dislike them.  I vary my subjects a lot and often have preferences for the same color in different brands depending on what I’m painting.  I’ve found that sometimes the paper I’m using will make a difference in the brand I choose as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account