Getting the Paint Out of your Brush

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

That’s exactly what I do too Kate. Although I’ve heard of a brush cleaner bar that’s olive oil and maybe thyme or rosemary that’s supposed to prevent brushes from drying out, it’s actually supposed to keep them conditioned. Darned if I can find what I saw the other day though. I had thought brush cleaners could also be used to recondition a brush, by adding a tiny bit and reforming the bristles, let dry, leave for a while and they’ll come back to a good point. Maybe I read that wrong or on a different brush cleaner.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

It’s possible that the drying problem is one that occurred with older products and has been addressed or possibly because people used products meant for oil paint on their watercolor brushes. Ack.  I really can’t remember where I heard about the problem, but I vaguely remember reading about it and then having it confirmed by someone I know. Long ago though.

Mary Roff
    Participant
    @mary-roff

Somewhere I heard someone say they used Murphy’s oil soap to clean their brushes.  Seems harsh to me but has anyone ever heard of doing that?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Seems harsh to me too, though I suppose if it was watered down enough.

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

I’ve used Murphy’s to get dried acrylic out of stiff boar’s hair (I think that’s the hair) house paint brushes, but there’s no way I’d use that on my watercolor brushes. Maybe some oil and acrylic painters use it? I think it would be deadly for soft natural hair like sable or squirrel and possibly deteriorate some softer synthetic bristles also.

Tonya L
    Participant
    @tonya

Jennifer – I leave Master’s in to reshape a misshapen brush. Clean/reshape the brush with it and then leave it in and allow to dry. Just wash it out before you paint! 🙂

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I do think that’s where the whole debate comes in – people use something for acrylic or oil, and others think it is okay for watercolor brushes. Watercolor brushes are so much more delicate.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account