Hahnemühle YouTangle.art Tiles

This topic contains 36 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Kate Powell 11 months ago.

• Author
     Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

HOW did I miss this thread? That’s the coolest palette, the only drawback is the clear lid, wonder what would happen if one sprayed it white?? I love your idea of using tangle tiles for inktober, I always feel like I can’t fill the page with doodles but a tile I could.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

The YouTangle tins do make great palettes.  I like them better than that postcard tins for that because they aren’t as tall. Just a little more than the plastic pans.  I don’t see why you couldn’t spray inside the lid with enamel paint.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

I agree Sandra, the tin looks much smaller so makes a great little palette, the right kind of depth and not so big it’ll hold like a thousand colors, lol. Ok, the postcard tin won’t hold a THOUSAND, it just feels like it. BUT it is great as a total palette with water and even paper, if you want to take everything in one tin.

I own the special spray, might have to think on trying it. Yet another palette, *sigh*. I had only one like 4 months ago, now I have six I think!!!

Sharon Nolfi 
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

When you ladies make these cool palettes, do you adhere the pans to the tin bottom? Use magnets? Those tiles, blank on both sides look very good.

Pamela Smith 
    Participant
    @pamela-smith

Nice review Kate,I like small so this is a great set up…😁.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer, palette addiction is a real thing.  I wish I could say that I only owned six, lol.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Sandra… YA BUT I’ll be adding THREE more in the next few months!!! I have Da Vinci paint on the way, I plan on getting the new schmincke palette from wet paint when it comes out next THEN there’s the empty palette that replaces the damaged one and I KNOW I’ll fill it… HELP ME!! Hehehe. I can’t stop! NOW Kate is  torturing me with her gorgeous Primateks and I have to have some of them!! I’m gonna have TEN in a few months. That’s stunning. But now I understand why painters keep their paints separate, if you want to be able to tell Da Vinci you used THEIR paint you have to have them separate so yo don’t make a mistake. Oh well, at least I now have a useful storage bin. I repurposed the six sided thing I bought at Michaels that didn’t work for pens, the wells were too wide and deep and you’d lose pens as they fell over. It’s been an albatross for a couple years but so good looking I couldn’t throw it away, on a  lazy susan too so I can now fill all the slots with palettes labeled and everything! Each section holds a palette so it can hold 9 around the outside and a couple in the middle!

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Sharon, I attach magnets to each half pan. Here’s my DIY for the Hahnemühle postcard tin with all the links for the products. It matters which magnets you use and how you attach them if you want them to last and actually HOLD the pans in.

How To Make A DIY Palette

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Sharon, I use magnets for palettes that I think I will use mostly at home and double-sided tape for palettes that I intend to carry around.  Magnets hold the pans pretty well, but they will slide around or come loose if bumped around enough.  A good two-sided tape or glue will keep the pans permanently in place unless you really dig it loose.  The problem with that is that it is easier to refill a pan if you can lift it out and/or you might want to switch out colors, and run the risk of denting the tin or breaking the pans to get them loose.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer, that’s a pretty cool lazy Susan affair.  I’ve got something similar that was made for TV remotes, etc., but it doesn’t have drawers or as many sections.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Sandra, I found that certain magnets are MUCH stronger than others. I’ve tried three kinds and the PROMAG flat sheets are probably the best overall. I tried the Aleene’s roll first and they’re really strong but a pain in the ass to use because the magnet doesn’t straighten from the roll. I have to attach them to a metal ruler for a week or so until I can cut them up and paste them on using gorilla superglue (after I take the sticky off the back of the magnets). It’s a lot of work but if you REALLY want the strongest then the Aleene’s roll is strongest, but the promo flat strips are almost as strong and you don’t have to straighten them out! I still take the sticky off the back though which takes a whole  night to complete a sheet! (I get about 50 half pan magnets per sheet of 6 strips)

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

And about the round-a-bout, after I add three more palettes it’ll be almost full! I still can’t get over how much paint I’ve added in just a couple months. i’m making up the swatch cards today, cutting up paper etc, gotta go find all the info on each tube next. WHY isn’t it ALL in one place somewhere??? What am I complaining about I love doing this! hehehe.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’ll have to buy some Promag.  I might eventually replace the magnet strips that I have that don’t work as well.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’ve been wanting to do some charts – I want to use my Exploring Color coloring book!  I do love painting the postcards for hubby every day but it does cut into my time between the Fun & Easy Landscape stuff, the link list and reviews.  I wasn’t this busy when I actually had a job, lol.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Sandra, they really do make a HUGE difference. The Aleene’s flat magnets have almost NO hold compared to the Aleene’s roll or the proMAG strips. I think there are so many BAD magnets that if you find ones that work well, stick with them. I just wish they’d make them without the sticky on the back, it doesn’t stay on the pans just using it, the water that seeps down makes them unstick and if you leave it on, so far I’ve found the glue I use fails because of it. I haven’t tried the gorilla superglue overtop of the sticky though, just silicone waterproof glue that didn’t work at all. Fail. Then you have to peel the whole mess off.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account