How to take reference photos?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Julia Proulx
    Participant
    @julia-proulx

Does anyone have tips or links to taking better reference photos? I want to improve this area of my art practice.

Debra “Kate” Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Mostly I take more than is necessary and with different settings (not as easy with a phone).  I move further away than is necessary for some, and if there is detail then I take closeups.  I take photos for our business and cannot come back for a missing shot so this ensures I get the shot 99% of the time.

Julia Proulx
    Participant
    @julia-proulx

Thanks Kate. I will not be shy about taking multiple shots anymore.

Jill Gustavis
    Participant
    @jill

Definitely agree with Kate on lots of photos, I can’t remember how many times I wish I’d captured 2 inches more of a scene. Or most recently, I needed more material to fill out a painting and I had more photos from the same set of flowers, but the lighting was opposite, so I could use the shapes but had to imagine/alter the coloring.

If you’re also looking for some creative inspiration for shooting or want to experiment, give “Creative Photography Lab: 52 Fun Exercises for Developing Self-Expression with your Camera” a shot. It has fun little assignments to flex your compositions, and you may be able to find it through a library to give it a trial run. Some of it you can even do on your phone.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account