I Draw How I Paint

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa Spangler 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     Erin Vaganos 
    Participant
    @erinvaganos

I’ve been drawing a lot more recently–I have two kids to take care of, and it’s easier to pick up the pencil rather than take out my paints (although as the kids get older, I’m finally getting more time for that again).

I gravitate toward negative painting in watercolor, without using masking fluid. Sometimes, I sketch out the bones for what I’ll be painting, other times I wing it. Really, most of the time I wing it. I like bold shapes, a mixture of organic and geometric–my favorite artists are Charley Harper and Eyvind Earle and I really like their aesthetic.

I start out with a basic foreground sketch with an HB, gradually getting heavier up to 6B as the layers are added. Just like in my paintings, I start with a light foreground image, shade around it, adding more and more layers by shading around the shapes, working my way to the upper Bs.

I only started drawing this way after my painting style really solidified, and I really enjoy it!

Mary Roff 
    Participant
    @mary-roff

Your work is truly wonderful!!  I love Charley Harper’s work also.

Erin Vaganos 
    Participant
    @erinvaganos

Thank you! And I just love his work…I’m always looking through his images for inspiration.

Anonymous

I definitely prefer the graphite to the watercolour version. A real expertise!

Kathy Delumpa Allegri 
    Participant
    @kdallegri311017

These are so lovely and very expressive! You are being an Artist in whatever you do, however you can. Time flys, and your children will integrate the creativity that makes you happy to fulfill their own dreams as they become adults. I guarantee that!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

You have an amazing feel for values and composition! Your work is fantastic!

Kate Powell 
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Thank you, both for sharing your artwork (I especially love the second image) and for the two new artists.  Beautiful!

Lisa Spangler 
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Thank you so much for sharing these — they’re amazing! I’m terrible at negative painting, maybe I should try doing some drawing first to practice!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account