I LOVE Hahnemühle Postcards

This topic contains 72 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 1 day, 17 hours ago.

• Author
     Kate Powell 
    Participant

I’m updating my first review of these postcards, six months later.  I love these postcards!

I bought them for the TIN… I hadn’t even wanted the cards.  My studio paints were overflowing my old pencil case, and I loved the flowers and embossed rooster and the size, perfect for travel or my desk. I bought two on Amazon, filled them with paints, and then said, “Now what am I to do with these bits?” (I do that, impulsively.)

Initially I was disappointed in the 250 gsm paper, which is rough… I prefer a cold pressed medium textured paper.   But I like texture and wanted to make a couple postcards to cheer friends and my mom so gave it a go.

They take everything I throw at them.  The orange flower above, my first, started with an under layer of Viridian and Quin Yellow over the inked image, then added Amazonite and a sloppy wet layer of New Gamboge… and the paper started to curl!   I clipped it.  After it dried a bit, I added a layer of a mixed red, and a final layer of mixed brown.  Finally I topped it with a layer of ink to pop the lines again and used a White Pitt Pen for highlights.

The paper is a bit rough for fine point pens, though my Platinum Carbon pen has scratched over it, above,  and managed to survive.  I rarely use fine point pens (I prefer stubs) so this is not an issue for me.

Paper curling IS a problem with tons of wash, but its a small one.  I’ve cut heavy used mailers to the size of the postcards, and the paper behaves when it is clipped, above. Now I have 3-4 of these clipped and ready to use next to the bed for middle-of-the-night painting!  If you don’t or can’t clip it when you are working it, AFTER it is dry, turn it over and clip then brush with water and let it dry.  It straightened out my very curled teabag art!

The texture has become a plus as I’ve learned to work with it… The paper is part of the image, as color lays into the dips in unexpected ways.  It can take a LOT of water, and I can push pigments around on the texture.  Who knew?

But the best thing is that I’ve delighted so many people, including my mom, with lovely original watercolors.
    I admit I don’t stick a stamp on them, because they can get ruined,  but pop them into an envelop.  I paint sweet or funny postcards and leave them to brighten Mitchell’s day.

I want to make many more so I can collect a couple more tins (remember why I started down this path?)!   Doodlewashers may be mostly into watercolors, but the postcards take ink washes, and pencil and gouache and layered thin papers as collage as well.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Kate Powell.
     Sharon Nolfi 
    Participant

Thanks for this review. I’ve been thinking of getting some. Your paintings and drawings are lovely.

June Hadaway 
      Participant

Beautiful paintings Kate

Susan Cuss 
      Participant

As someone who prefers a rough w/c paper, I appreciate your review. I may have to get some of these postcards. Nice paintings, and I like your teabag art.

Kate Powell 
        Participant

Thanks Susan.  I really love these crazy cards!  Love how the rough paper takes paint!

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Thanks Sharon and June — I’m glad it finally posted!  Seems it thot I was a spammer!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

Great review.  I’ve just started using my postcards and I like the texture.  Even though it’s rough, the paint moves well on it.  Another thing I like is that there are different paintings on the tin covers, so you could start a collection and use the paintings to help identify what palette you have inside.

Kate Powell 
      Participant

DIFFERENT PAINTING ON THE TIN COVERS???????  AAAACK!  I’ve only seen the one!  Now what am I going to do?  I want them all but haven’t seen the others!!!

Mary Roff 
    Participant

Love your paintings, Kate, and thanks for the review.  The postcards look interesting….think I will have to try them.

Kate Powell 
      Participant

Mary, always happy to help burn a hole in someones pocketbook!

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Okay I’ve seen that there are indeed different tins and now I have a huge dilemma… I think we have to start a swap club!  I have tins to swap!  Sandra you are in trouble and have started something!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

Elizabeth, there are images of many of the tins on Google.   Hahnemuehle also has a blog that has articles on the various editions.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

Kate, I only have one tin (so far) so I don’t have much to swap, but I like the idea.  I think these are put out in editions, so it may not be easy to get some of the tins.  We’ll have to start looking on Ebay, etc.  There is also the factor that the postcards come in other papers than just the watercolor!  *moans*  We’re all in trouble!

Elizabeth Metz 
      Participant

Kate — have you used the Strathmore postcards at all?  And if so, would you say these are comparable?

(I’ve been reluctant to buy any other brands, because I picked up some kind of weird brand once and they were awful.  Like, not just bad, but aggressively awful — no sizing in the paper so there was no moving color around, rewetting just made the thing pulp like kleenex, and they were so thin that a simple wash would show up on the back.  Let us just say that I tossed them and have mentally blocked out the brand now, to protect my delicate psyche.)  😀

Kate Powell 
        Participant

Never bought postcards at all!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

Elizabeth,  I’ve used the Strathmore postcards, though it has been a while.  The surface textures are totally different.  I think the paint moves more easily and color lifts better (maybe too well) on the Hahnemuhle.  I suspect the Strathmore is cheaper.  It’s definitely easier to find.  I think it would be personal preference as to which was best.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant

Kate, this is awesome. I had talked to Carol at Hahnemühle and she said you’d modified that tin, she just sent me this link! YAY, so glad to see the paper handling everything you throw at it. I’ll be DIYing a tin from Hahnemühle and testing these babies soon too. THEN there’ll be a giveaway on my new site for a tin of the postcards with tin. OH, you just might win another tin, lol. SOON it’ll all be ready for subscribers. Thanks for this, I’m so excited to get these and experiment. Awesome post. You Rock.

Kate Powell 
      Participant

My tins with my favorite and second favorite colors… And I’ve added one for Primateks now.  I love them.  I can put a mixing area made from tea tin tops in and have room for a brush there is so much room.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

Oh my, those are so cool Kate. I can’t believe how many full pans you can get in it. I’d love to collect the artwork on each tin too. Then I could do what you did and still tell the tins apart. I thought there was only one kind of postcard paper IN A TIN. I know there’s other paper postcard pads.

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Dang we need Doodlewashers to live close by…

Jennifer McLean 
      Participant

wouldn’t that be nice? We could all move to minnesota where Wet Paint Art is and go shopping together. Then go home and sleep in a cardboard box and eat mac & cheese. ;o)

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

Well, as much as I like the idea of living close to Wet Paint, I don’t think I like it well enough to live in Minnesota, lol. Especially not in a carboard box – the winters there are COLD.

Jennifer McLean 
      Participant

our fingers would be so frozen we couldn’t make art. I lived in both Saskatoon (just above Minnesota) and Ottawa, which is around Toronto and east coast. Freeze your cahoonas off weather! I’m such a wuss now, all used to the “warm” weather here in BC. Now I complain when it goes below zero. phhleeeaassee! lol.

I shhhooooorrreeee would love to live beside wet paint in the summer though!

Kate Powell 
      Participant

Nah, we can ship from WetPaintArt and live near Merriartist here in Portland!  Jenn, MOVE!

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

I second that.  Although if we have too many winters like we did last year I may consider moving, lol.  I know it was nothing compared to what some areas get, but we aren’t prepared for it here.  The condensation lines on my furnace froze and I had to disconnect them and let them drip into a bucket all winter.  Pain in the patoot!

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

we were exactly the same up here a little closer to the north pole. I think we were blowing the polar winds down by you/ Sowwies.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

This post can also be found in the DIY Travel Palette Thread, but I thought it would be of interest to people following this thread as well.

There’s been some discussion about using the Hahnemühle YouTangle and Postcard tins for palettes, so I thought I’d post some comparison photos (and casually mention that I’m currently holding a giveaway for one of the YouTangle tins It ends 10/15/17. International entries welcome).

I used a Lukas Watercolor pan set for comparison – it is marginally longer, a bit wider and a bit thinner than the Da Vinci watercolor set.   I didn’t have that set with me, or I would have used it for this (and for those interested, this is the Jubilee edition cover of the postcard set).

Here you can see the heights.  The Lukas set doesn’t have a folding wing so it is thinner than most watercolor palette tins.  The Postcard tin is taller than an Altoids tin. (This was for you Tonya!).

Kate already posted some photos of the postcard tin with pans, so I’ll just post one for the YouTangle. tin.  I can squeeze (sqeeeeeze) 25 half-pans into it.  I haven’t used up my tiles yet, so I haven’t adapted one for real yet.

Kate Powell 
      Participant

I now have the YouTangle tin+cards, and I can get 15 full pans in one… These are my Matteo Grilli paint, 3 Da Vinci paints, and a few new paints from Holbien.  I will so a review of both the new Holbein and the YouTangle.  I wish I’d had them for the Inktober and may save 31 of them (I have two tins) for next year.

YouTangle tin as Palette

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Kate, I’m giving away a YouTangle tin this week (ends Sunday), and I have two more tins that I’ll be giving away end of October, beginning of November, so you can try for another tin of them.  I also will be giving away a tin of postcards.  It’s for the same lid painting you have, but if you won, I might be persuaded to swap out for the Jubilee lid.

Kate Powell 
        Participant

I am bowing out of the giveaways only because I have two tins of the YouTangle, and hate to enter when I have so many!  I am looking for other tins (eBay) and if I get them I will give you one my florals…  I woudl so much rather others get a chance to use them.  Same goes for Jenn’s giveaway — I only go for them if I’ve not tried things.  I have such a stash!

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

I know what you mean.  I’m torn when there is a giveaway with several products, and I have some but not others.  But then, if I do enter those, I turn around and give away the duplicates, so I don’t feel too bad if I enter them.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Actually, since the lids are not hinged, we could swap my Jubilee for one of your florals, if you like.  I intend to collect, but I’m not in hurry – I’ll buy them as I need the cards.  This way you’d have two, and I’d still have one – just a different one.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

I’m definitely the one who is unhinged.  I stated that we could swap lids because they weren’t, but, yeah, the postcard tins are hinged and so are the YouTangle and who knows what I was thinking of.  Too many tins loose in my head and they’re jangling around in all that empty space!

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

I’ll also be giving away a tin of postcards in the next month. :o)

Kate Powell 
        Participant

Make sure you put your link on this thread!  Close to the top!

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

Hmmm, I’ll try to remember to do that. Or, anyone can just subscribe then get every post, lol. When the new site is up I’ll announce it officially here, promise. I’ve made it a requirement for the giveaways to subscribe then no one will miss one. There’ll be three (at least) before Christmas then at least one a month in 2018.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

I think once I’ve finished this eight weeks of giveaways, I’ll rest until after the New Year.  But then who knows! Something else may come along, lol!  I haven’t heard from Exaclair USA yet and I was supposed to get something for October.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

I’ll be entering all of them, lol. Great that you can do so many.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

thanks Kate, good to see you can get a huge amount of paint in those!

Kati Brooke 
    Participant

Ohhh, thank you for the review! These are actually the exact size I prefer doing art on, so I need to get some.

And the artwork on the tin is awesome! I think my favorite is the lavender (?) field one I saw on google images.

Sandra Strait 
      Participant

There are currently 10 editions of these tins.  I haven’t seen all of the paintings yet.  I’m trying to decide if I want to collect these or save my money for something else.  Like food and rent, but probably other art supplies, lol.

Kati Brooke 
        Participant

Lol, perhaps thankfully, I don’t have enough money to collect them all anyways, so no temptation to try. But they are so pretty! I can understand why you’d want to collect them all.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

I know, me too. I can imagine how pretty it would be to have them all on a shelf filled with finished art. Kinda a unique kind of journal!

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

It isn’t at the top of my list, but I’ll keep my eye on ebay, etc. and try to find good deals on them.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

I didn’t know they had them on eBay. Cool. you’ll have to do  a show and tell when you get a few.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

holy cow! I DIDN’T KNOW THERE WERE TEN! I can see you eventually getting all ten. Where will you find them? Did you ask Carol how many there were?

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Hahnemühle has a blog, and there was a post talking about the Jubilee lid, which they said was the 10th edition of the postcard tins.  I think the Limited Edition lid that Kate has (and that I’m giving away) is the 9th.  I haven’t been able to find a list of all of them, but I’ve been looking.

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Replying to several comments…. sorry have a cold!

Katie I love the size too.  I keep the stack by my bedside for middle-of-the-night-i-can’t sleep sketching.

Sandra I can see we will be bidding against each other!  We will stay in touch about what we score!

Jenn I like seeing mine on the art desk lined up!  But I would swap some of the floral for others if I find them!

Sandra Strait 
      Participant

I haven’t put in any bids yet.  I keep hoping I’ll see some at a really good price.  *sigh* I remember the days when you could find truly amazing deals on ebay.  Something I’ll probably never see again.

Kate Powell 
        Participant

I was never a big eBay shopper but there used to be better deals….

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

so glad to see it’s not just me that thinks “holy cow” what the heck? The prices are usually MORE than retail, as though their selling to idiots.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

I think the problem is the gambling effect.  I’ve seen people bid prices up past the going price because they are so intent on winning that they lose sight of what they’re doing.  Add to that, there are idiots (some of them quite intelligent, actually) who still believe in the ebay fairy who blesses all offerings and turns all buys into WUN-der-ful deals.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

good luck, I think it’s rare to find really good deals. Who knows why.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Too many people have found they can sell for more and get away with it.  It used to be people de-cluttering and just hoping to make a few sheckels from their discards.  Not no more!

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

it also used to be people buying close outs then selling on eBay, good deals for those willing to bid. Now it’s crazy.

Jennifer McLean 
      Participant

sorry your sick my friend. those sure do look lovely on your desk. Hopefully finding all the different iterations of the tins won’t be difficult for you. :o)

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

New information regarding the Hahnemühle Postcards!  Tonya L didn’t like hers, so we swapped (just for the postcards – she kept her tin, lol).  They arrived today and as I was putting them in the tin with the ones I had, I had a flash of “There is something different about these cards!”  It took me a moment.  At first, I thought maybe the color was slightly different, but no.  They were the same.  Then I realized – the texture runs in a different direction!  With mine the texture runs across the width and with the ones from Tonya they run the length.

In the photo – Tonya’s at top, Mine below.

Other than splashing the paint across one of the cards to highlight the texture, I haven’t painted anything on the ones I just received.  I’m wondering how much difference it will make and it that is why she didn’t like hers, while Kate and I did.

Kate, which direction does the texture run on yours?  Tonya, what picture do you have on your lid. I’ll have to ask Carol if the direction depends on the painting or if it’s just a random thing depending on how they cut the paper.

Jennifer McLean 
      Participant

well that’s just strange. If I was a betting woman and hadn’t heard that you liked the vertical pattern, I would have bet that the horizontal pattern would have been “better” to work with. It’ll be interesting to hear what Kate says. Kate?

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

It’s always possible that the horizontal pattern will be better, but it’s a fairly deep texture.  Might be too much.  I’ll be trying one here shortly.  If I can get out of Doodlewash and start painting, lol.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

Interesting, I can’t wait to dig in soon. I have too many things to do! I know what you mean, I just want to veg and not do anything. I need a vacation.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Well, I tried the horizontal, and honestly, I didn’t see any difference.  I botched the painting but that’s because I was trying to get it done while hubby was out of the room. He wants his daily painting to be a ‘surprise’ when he opens his lunch.  Good thing he isn’t picky about the actual artwork, though he does love it when I do up a really nice one.  I need to practice the quick painting more often.  I can draw them, but I always try to do too much with a quick watercolor.

Jennifer McLean 
        Participant

cute!

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Thank you!

Kate Powell 
        Participant

I love him!!!!! Love love love him!

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Thank you! This has been seal/sea lion week for hubby’s lunches.  Now I have to decide what I’ll be doing next week.

Susan Cuss 
      Participant

Interested to know if the direction of the pattern affects how the paint flows. I’d thought of getting some of the postcards, or adding them to my Christmas Wish List. Thanks

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

My giveaway for a tin will be starting this Sunday, but I’m not sure which the texture will run on them.

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Most of mine run the long ways… but oddly, a couple seem to be a more gridded (gardenia)!

Sandra Strait 
      Participant

Interesting.  I’ll have to go through my batch and see if they are all consistent.

Susan Cuss 
        Participant

You can really see the texture on the paintings!

Jennifer McLean 
      Participant

that is really curious. I actually love the texture I see but then I haven’t tried them, I tend to be too hung up one what I’ve deemed perfection instead of loving what happens no matter whether I planned or can control it, maybe these will force me to relax. Crossing fingers! Love that teal and the texture Kate.

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

I’m curious to see how you like working on them.

Kate Powell 
        Participant

MG Cobalt Teal dropped into Amazonite…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2017 Doodlewash® | Privacy & Cookie Policy | Disclosure

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account