I LOVE Hahnemühle Postcards

• I’m updating my first review of these postcards, six months later.  I love these postcards!

I bought them for the TIN… I hadn’t even wanted the cards.  My studio paints were overflowing my old pencil case, and I loved the flowers and embossed rooster and the size, perfect for travel or my desk. I bought two on Amazon, filled them with paints, and then said, “Now what am I to do with these bits?” (I do that, impulsively.)

Initially I was disappointed in the 250 gsm paper, which is rough… I prefer a cold pressed medium textured paper.   But I like texture and wanted to make a couple postcards to cheer friends and my mom so gave it a go.

They take everything I throw at them.  The orange flower above, my first, started with an under layer of Viridian and Quin Yellow over the inked image, then added Amazonite and a sloppy wet layer of New Gamboge… and the paper started to curl!   I clipped it.  After it dried a bit, I added a layer of a mixed red, and a final layer of mixed brown.  Finally I topped it with a layer of ink to pop the lines again and used a White Pitt Pen for highlights.

The paper is a bit rough for fine point pens, though my Platinum Carbon pen has scratched over it, above,  and managed to survive.  I rarely use fine point pens (I prefer stubs) so this is not an issue for me.

Paper curling IS a problem with tons of wash, but its a small one.  I’ve cut heavy used mailers to the size of the postcards, and the paper behaves when it is clipped, above. Now I have 3-4 of these clipped and ready to use next to the bed for middle-of-the-night painting!  If you don’t or can’t clip it when you are working it, AFTER it is dry, turn it over and clip then brush with water and let it dry.  It straightened out my very curled teabag art!

The texture has become a plus as I’ve learned to work with it… The paper is part of the image, as color lays into the dips in unexpected ways.  It can take a LOT of water, and I can push pigments around on the texture.  Who knew?

But the best thing is that I’ve delighted so many people, including my mom, with lovely original watercolors.
    I admit I don’t stick a stamp on them, because they can get ruined,  but pop them into an envelop.  I paint sweet or funny postcards and leave them to brighten Mitchell’s day.

I want to make many more so I can collect a couple more tins (remember why I started down this path?)!   Doodlewashers may be mostly into watercolors, but the postcards take ink washes, and pencil and gouache and layered thin papers as collage as well.

Anonymous

Thanks for this review. I’ve been thinking of getting some. Your paintings and drawings are lovely.

Beautiful paintings Kate

Thanks Sharon and June — I’m glad it finally posted!  Seems it thot I was a spammer!

Great review.  I’ve just started using my postcards and I like the texture.  Even though it’s rough, the paint moves well on it.  Another thing I like is that there are different paintings on the tin covers, so you could start a collection and use the paintings to help identify what palette you have inside.

As someone who prefers a rough w/c paper, I appreciate your review. I may have to get some of these postcards. Nice paintings, and I like your teabag art.

Love your paintings, Kate, and thanks for the review.  The postcards look interesting….think I will have to try them.

DIFFERENT PAINTING ON THE TIN COVERS???????  AAAACK!  I’ve only seen the one!  Now what am I going to do?  I want them all but haven’t seen the others!!!

Okay I’ve seen that there are indeed different tins and now I have a huge dilemma… I think we have to start a swap club!  I have tins to swap!  Sandra you are in trouble and have started something!

Elizabeth, there are images of many of the tins on Google.   Hahnemuehle also has a blog that has articles on the various editions.

Kate, I only have one tin (so far) so I don’t have much to swap, but I like the idea.  I think these are put out in editions, so it may not be easy to get some of the tins.  We’ll have to start looking on Ebay, etc.  There is also the factor that the postcards come in other papers than just the watercolor!  *moans*  We’re all in trouble!

Kate — have you used the Strathmore postcards at all?  And if so, would you say these are comparable?

(I’ve been reluctant to buy any other brands, because I picked up some kind of weird brand once and they were awful.  Like, not just bad, but aggressively awful — no sizing in the paper so there was no moving color around, rewetting just made the thing pulp like kleenex, and they were so thin that a simple wash would show up on the back.  Let us just say that I tossed them and have mentally blocked out the brand now, to protect my delicate psyche.)  😀

Never bought postcards at all!

Elizabeth,  I’ve used the Strathmore postcards, though it has been a while.  The surface textures are totally different.  I think the paint moves more easily and color lifts better (maybe too well) on the Hahnemuhle.  I suspect the Strathmore is cheaper.  It’s definitely easier to find.  I think it would be personal preference as to which was best.

Kate, this is awesome. I had talked to Carol at Hahnemühle and she said you’d modified that tin, she just sent me this link! YAY, so glad to see the paper handling everything you throw at it. I’ll be DIYing a tin from Hahnemühle and testing these babies soon too. THEN there’ll be a giveaway on my new site for a tin of the postcards with tin. OH, you just might win another tin, lol. SOON it’ll all be ready for subscribers. Thanks for this, I’m so excited to get these and experiment. Awesome post. You Rock.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.