Kremer pigments new palette

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

So I also want to say this about Kremer (I forgot as we use toxic materials in our business.).  They cater only to professionals in a variety of other professional venues.  We buy pigments (not paints) from them in order to color shellac and other mediums for antique reparation.  Their paints are not geared for low toxicity.  They come with explicit warnings and say directly what may happen if you use them without gloves, etc.  Just saying…  These are NOT like DS or QoR!

Lisa Sandboge
    Participant
    @lisa-sandboge

Indeed, that is a very good point! It’s seriously keep out of childrens reach stuff!

For some reason I felt like doing a new colorchart, so this time Kremer blues and greens!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

This is good to know.  If they are keep out of children’s hands stuff, I probably shouldn’t use them, lol.  I always say I refused to grow up and just went from childhood to second childhood.  I don’t always take the care, I should.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

That’s a nice chart.  Sometimes, when I’m not feeling too creative, I’ll start doing charts just to keep my hand in with the brushwork.

Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Hi! I’ve ordered pigment from Kremer after taking a watercolor paint making workshop at Case For Making in San Francisco — if you live in the area and you get a chance to take the workshop you totally should! It’s so cool to make your own paint and then use it! I’ve kinda gotten addicted and I have started making paint at home 🙂

Anyhow, they order the pigments from Kremer and the medium too. The medium is made of distilled water, gum arabic, honey and glycerin — that’s it!

http://shop.kremerpigments.com/en/mediums-binders-und-glues/mediums-und-varnishes/watercolor-medium-temperone-/5921/kremer-watercolor-medium

So I think any health concerns are from the pigments themselves, not the binder, and would be the same from any manufacturer who uses that pigment.

I’m pretty sure that Kremer uses this medium for making their in house paints too.

Case For Making also sells paint if you’d like to try handmade!

https://www.caseformaking.com/cfm-watercolors/

Two faves are ultramarine blue and indigo — I feel like they are so much livelier  than Daniel Smith and Winsor & Newton. They rewet easier and the colors are very intense — a little goes a long way. I haven’t had any problems mixing them with other brands. Most of their colors are more earthy and opaque — except for the NEONS! Oh man, these colors just glow — I don’t use them on nature sketching but they’re fun for other things like if I make Christmas or birthday things.

I live in Austin, TX where we have blazing hot summers and haven’t had any problems with them cracking. I love taking them out hiking since they rewet so well — haven’t had any problems with the honey and bees either — I wondered about that before I got them lol! I’ve taken them on trips to Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

The owners of Case For Making that I’ve met are all super nice too.

Anyhow hope that helps someone!

Lisa Spangler
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Oh those blues are so pretty!!!!! 🙂

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

You are braver than I am, Lisa, to make your own paints! I’d probably either sneeze and blow pigment all over or manage to a big breath of it.  Or both, lol.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

good lord, that IS a weird set of colors. Maybe they’re thinking muted landscapes?? Other than that, I got nuthin’

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

YES, well figured out Sandra. That makes sense with the potter’s pink-like color!

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

I’ve actually never done a chart, they intimidate me. I should break out the paints and finally do one!

Pamela Smith
    Participant
    @pamela-smith

Eye candy,I love looking at art supplies,I refer to myself as an art supply junkie,so I guess we are in the same club,lol..I have never seen them or heard of them,your review was good,thank you..

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer, it doesn’t always make sense to try and make sense of the color choices a company makes, lol.  It looks like a portrait set to me, but quite possibly the color choices came from some kind of marketing survey that was poorly conceived and poorly interpretated. Business decisions are often like that.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer! Never done a chart! That’s… that’s un-artist!  Sorry, couldn’t resist ribbing you.  I suspect that charts are very helpful for people who approach their art a certain way, and totally unhelpful for others.  I find they are good practice, but most often treat them the same way I do zentangle.  When my creative juices are low, but I don’t want to stop creating entirely, I do charts.  It requires little to no thought, but good practice.

I don’t know that I’ve ever actually used a chart to decide what colors to mix.  Probably making them helps me make the choices on a subconscious level.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Pamela, I think we need to start an Art Supply Junkies Anonymous!  I never would though because I have too much fun looking through them.  Amazon started their Black Friday sale today, and I’ve already gone through their art section (disappointing) to see if there was anything amazing.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Sandra, I know. *hangs head in shame* Never done a chart??!? How is that possible. I KNOW!!! I think I’m one of those other people who don’t find them useful but then I’ve never made one so who knows. Usually I just mix my colors at the time of painting. That and I don’t make stuff up yet. I’ll never be a cartoonist or anything like just making something out of my head, just not me. But I’m hoping to “see” more creatively. So if I look at a landscape or anything really, I can get more creative with what colors I express with. I’m workin’on it, lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account