Masking Fluid: Fineline Resist Pen

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jill Gustavis
    Participant
    @jill

I haven’t tried this yet, but you can also use a ruling pen to apply masking fluid from a jar much like you would apply in ink with a nib. Here’s a link describing the pen in general (often used by comic artist for ink) : http://www.comic-tools.com/2009/03/this-week-what-is-this-thing-and-what.html

And this is a tutorial from Jackson’s Art supplies that touches on using one for masking fluid. The pen starts just after the 3:40 mark:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiHXAJWn59A

I picked up the tip from a French artist I follow on Instagram named Thierry Duval (@thierryduvalaqua) in this post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BdAPRMCgwp-/?hl=en&taken-by=thierryduvalaqua

Shar Kennett
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

I also like the Pebeo masking fluid because it dries fast. I recently used Pebeo Drawing Gum – for the shine in Jane’s hair. It made a fine line: the pen I have is labeled 0.7. It dried very fast so there was not much waiting around to continue to paint. I did not always get a smooth edge though, but perhaps that is due to operator issues.

Shar Kennett
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

Forgot to mention: I recently bought a ruling pen as well(yes, I like my toys) and am looking forward to testing to see whether or not it is easier to get a smoother edge with it. For travel purposes though, the Pebeo drawing gum might be better as one does not have to worry about messy spillage from a bottle.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I have a ruling pen and found it isn’t as easy to use as it seems.  I haven’t spent much time trying to learn how to use it, and I should because I think it would be well worth it.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Susan, how has it been working out with the fineliner masking fluid? I bought some and I’m having problems with it drying up and clogging while I’m using it.  Even if I stick the pin back in and work out the resistence, it just stops flowing again a few seconds later.

Another situation where Kate and I, who only live miles away, have totally different experiences with a product.  I think she and I are going to have to go by the assumption that if it works for one of us, it probably won’t work for the other. One woman’s paint product is another person’s pain in the patoot, lol!

So far, the Molotow fluid markers work great, although I don’t like the dark blue because it messes up my sense of color.

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Sandra and I will have to be opposite friends!  When we meet, bring the molotow I want to see it!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’ll do that – now we just have to get together!

Fynn M
    Participant
    @fynn-mllyr

I’ve used the applicator, but bought mine empty and filled it with Incredible White Mask liquid frisket. I’ve had no problems with it, though I haven’t used it a great deal. I think I’m able to get similar results with the Pebeo masking pen, though dots are easier with the Fineline applicator. I’ve also tried the Daniel Smith art masking fluid, and while the fluid works perfectly well, the applicator doesn’t work as well as the Fineline applicator or Pebeo pen.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account