My unicorn brushes (and lots more brush stuff)!

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kristen Deem 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author
     Lisa Spangler 
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Hi all! A friend is just starting to get into watercolor and asked me what brushes I use — so many people have asked me that actually. I guess it’s like our handshake right? 🙂

Anyhow, I finally got around to writing up a blog post about my brushes and would love any of feedback!

Watercolor Brush Comparison (and my unicorn brushes!)

Here’s my unicorn brushes!

My unicorn brushes

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Lisa Spangler.
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Great review! I’ve got some brushes on my wishlist!

Lisa Spangler 
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Thanks, @sandra-strait! I was a bit nervous putting my list out there but then I thought why not!? 🙂

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I think it all helps.  There are so many choices and people have such a wide difference in taste.  The more you learn about what people like, and why they like that particular thing, the easier it is to understand what you like yourself.

Kristen Deem 
    Participant
    @kristen

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi Lisa, i really appreciated your thoughtful review since I am a beginner. I bought myself a size 6 Isabey brush for my birthday but i have been frustrated with it because unless it’s sopping wet, it won’t hold a point. The top frays open. I’m not sure if its me because I’m new/learning and may be doing things wrong or if i somehow got a bad brush. Your review made me think it should hold its point very well, even if slightly dry? Have you had this problem? Thanks!</p>

Lisa Spangler 
    Participant
    @lisa-spangler

Hi Kristen,

When my brushes start misbehaving the first thing I do is wash them with a brush cleaner — I use Master’s Brush Cleaner. I think of it as them having a bad hair day! Also sometimes when they are new brushes have sizing in them to help keep them together during shipping and that can make them misbehave as well — so they get a good cleaning with Master’s again. For really stubborn brushes I will load them up with the Master’s brush cleaner and shape them into a point, then let them dry overnight and rinse them out really well in the morning.

Also, when brushes are really sopping wet I usually flick them hard in the air to shake some of the water off and then they snap to a point.

Hope that helps!

Kristen Deem 
    Participant
    @kristen

Thank you, Lisa! I will give it a try.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account