NEW Schmincke Custom Palette By Wet Paint.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Wow, FOUR opaques.  That will be disappointing… I will have to use them the way I use MG Cobalt Teal — drop it into a bit of a Primatek to move it around.  There are several colors I wanted tho — Phthalo Sapphire Blue, Cobalt Azure, Potter’s Pink, Saturn Red — and so it goes!  and I wanted to try Schmincke and that is a good price!

They are on their way.

Anonymous

Thanks for reviewing this so quickly, Sandra! Your review confirms the reasons why I had decided this palette wasn’t for me (i.e. flimsy tin, too few transparent).

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Jennifer.  Between typos from running the chart up so fast, and not being able to read the small print, I definitely was wrong on some of these.  But, I think the index number is incorrect for Yellow Orange.  I’m not 100% sure whether it is PY153 or PY163 on my label, but I can tell it isn’t PY110.  They may have had a change of the pigments or perhaps some sets will have a different pigment.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’m not unhappy with the purchase.  I didn’t have any of these colors, except Viridian, so it definitely expands my palette.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I was a bit surprised at how few were transparent, but for me that’s okay.  I like to switch things up so I don’t mind painting with something more opaque at times.

Anonymous

Kate, can you describe what happens when you drop an opaque color into a bit of a Primatek to move it around? Does this somehow make opaque pigments more transparent?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Exactly.  Ah well.  If it’s the worst thing that happens this month, I’ll be in good shape.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Hi Sandra,

Not sure what to tell you but in the Schmincke book I was sent explaining every paint they make with all their information it says Yellow Orange PY110, new color etc. Maybe they misprinted on either their label or in the color book, who knows which one is right. I’m sure it’ll be sorted out soon.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

I was disappointed in that too Kate. Although I still wanted to get the tin for all the other colors especially the ones you mentioned. I don’t have a potters pink in either daniel smith or schmicke, I thought of it as specialty and haven’t gotten around to getting it. But it’s such a hard color to hit if you’re mixing so I’ll get it at some time. You’ll have to do a comparison swatch of your DS with schmincke when you thin arrives!

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Hopefully next iteration of this tin will be back to all transparent. I know they were just trying to show all the new colors, I just wish they had chosen the most transparent of the35 new colors!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I like granulation so I don’t mind a granulation color being opaque.  I just have to remember not to use too much in one area.  I’m hoping to some time tomorrow to really play with these.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

It’s possibly a mislabeling or possibly they had to change the pigment because something was unavailable.  I wish they had a chart online – I could only find a list of about 66 colors.

Anonymous

I’d also like to see a comparison of the Schmincke potters pink alongside the DS. It’s a color I’ve been considering buying for a long time. I usually buy DS.

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Sharon, I am HUGE into colors and playing and mixing… and love textures. I will try all the opaques with my Primateks to see what they do!  And I promise I will get a video done soon on playing with Primateks.

I generally don’t like opaque because it comes off flat.  But the opaque will suspend and drop differently into a Primatek.  Look at the Ultramarine (left) dropped into Yavapei… see how it moves and changes?  Same with the Sapmixed with Serpentine (which has quite a bit of brown that separates out) in the center.  These are all transparent but you can see what happens.

When I get a Primatek I take a journal I am not fond of and make squares and play with all — or most — of my other colors.  Below is Piemontite with a host of other colors, and mixing into the center I get to see how they shift mixed.  Permanent Yellow (3d over on top) is semi opaque and look what it does!

So I bought MG Cobalt Teal because EVERYONE said it was a great color.  It is.  But it is also flat opaque… But mixed, wow!.

Here is a Lapis sky with no other color (and Lapis changes BTW with the batch…) just layers, tho I may have had a slightly dirty brush with the second layer… the sky is quite grey blue (BTW I also used diopside and yavapei and hematite in this one in trees and buildings):

Above is Cobalt Teal.. A bit muddy for me though it is a pretty color, and Lapis.  Below is a sky with cobalt teal (opaque) dropped into Lapis, and a bit of Imperial purple at the edges… and the same imperial purple dropped into the Jadite or Diopside (I can’t remember).   The cobalt sings with its brilliance!

Hope that helps…

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Kate Powell.
    Thomas Blanchard
    Participant
    @thomas

Mine is due tomorrow 🙂   Looking forward to some of these new colors.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 230 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account