Painting in the shadow

This topic contains 34 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thomas, here’s something that I do on occasion when I’ve overworked the paper to the point that it would take color anymore, and I feel the painting is ruined.  I use Sakura metallic and moondust gelly roll pens over the watercolor.  It adds shine to the dull look that has occurred.  I get more compliments on these ‘saves’ then I do on almost any of my other paintings.

It’s more for fun, though, because I don’t think gel pens are lightfast, but you can get some cool effects.  The photo is already in the gallery so I’ve just posted the link here:

Members’ Watercolor Art Gallery

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

that’s a great idea and the pic is so unique looking. I think when we’re pushed out of our comfort zone things can happen that are miraculous. I also wonder if you could try watercolor pencils on that overworked section, no more water, but still the saturated color.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I would think that watercolor pencils would work.  I don’t know if they would bring back the vibrancy that use lose from overworking the paper.  I’ll have to give that a try, because I definitely overwork enough art.  When I’m reviewing, I even do it on purpose so I can see how sturdy the paper is.

Kate Powell 
    Participant
    @kate-powell

good idea…

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  Kate Powell.
     Ellie 
    Participant
    @an_telly

Thanks for asking this question!  I’m self-taught – and self-leaning! – too and I really appreciate all of the answers.

Terri Bate 
    Participant
    @terri-bate

That’s a very comprehensive response Sandra!  I’ve been given the tip about using complementary colours for the shadows too.   I’ve also been told that shadows reflect all the colours surrounding them…  fascinating stuff.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Terri Bate.
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Terri.  Color is definitely a complex subject and one you can spend a lifetime learning.

Shar Kennett 
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

Thomas, thank you for asking this question, as I also have problems with shadows.  Lots of useful advise to read and try to follow.

Anonymous

These are great tips, Sandra. Thanks!

Anonymous

Thanks, Mary, for the useful link.

Tamiko McCurry 
    Participant
    @tamiko-mccurry

I can honestly say I cheat.. Until I learn better, lolol I go back in with water soluble oils pastels or water color pencils and even plain colored pencils or artist brush pitt pens.. (Within first 2-3 seconds the india ink is smudgable)

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Tamiko, that isn’t cheating, it’s just mixed media, lol! I say, whatever works, go for it!

Rebecca Tromel 
    Participant
    @rebecca-coday

What Sandra said about complimentary colors is true, and also consider your tones or hues. Looking at your colors, online at least, shows me that your hues are almost all the same. Deep and rich tones…what you may try is varying the tones so that when you do shading, it shows up better.

Sharon Nolfi 
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

Lots of helpful info here. Thanks to Thomas for starting this topic and to all those who contributed.

Anonymous

Thanks Sandra, great advice

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account