Peerless Watercolors

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lydia Lydia 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ellie Ellie 
    Participant

Does anyone else use Peerless? I use them for painting on-the-go by gluing small portions of the colors to 2X2inch/5X5cm cards and clipping them on a ring.

Profile photo of Charlie O'Shields Charlie O’Shields 
    Keymaster

I’ve not used them yet, but I rather love the idea and portability of them! There are three guests artists on Doodlewash that use them, but I don’t think any have joined our club yet! 😉

Profile photo of Elizabeth Metz Elizabeth Metz 
    Participant

I do much the same! I’ve got them in a midori traveler’s notebook, small squares stuck down to a file folder cut to size. (I make inserts with watercolor paper so I’m never without something to paint on or something to paint with when I’m out and about.)

Love them. I’m still a Daniel Smith girl in the studio, but on the go, Peerless all the way. 😀

Profile photo of Jessica Wesolek Jessica Wesolek 
    Participant

I think Peerless is a great idea for portability, but I don’t use them for two reasons. First, they are a dye, not really a watercolor, so they stain and don’t lift like most watercolors, and they don’t move the same on the page because no gum arabic. The other thing is that the swatch does not re-wet – anywhere you have picked up color before is no longer “alive” so the swatches have to be replaced often. That being said, the brilliance of the color is great and a little goes a long way.

Be sure it doesn’t rain on your journal or sketchbook that has a sheet of Peerless swatches in it! Been there and it wasn’t pretty.

Profile photo of Ellie Ellie 
    Participant

I hadn’t thought about them as being dye, but yes, that’s definitely true. I generally use them in my sketch journal, when I’m not wanting to mix colors from my travel palettes. Shortcuts! They don’t work well for large washes, because as you point out they have very little pigment on the card. I can imagine what a colorful mess rain on the sheet would make! I keep them on a book ring in a plastic bag, one color family to a ring.

Profile photo of Susan Susan 
    Participant

These look interesting, I had a look on a website at them. Not sure if they’re for me but then up until now I haven’t done much in the way of sketching away from home. I’m wondering if dotting wc paint on wc paper letting it dry would be any good in the field. I’m going to try it. After all Daniel Smith sell dot cards to try their colours out, or whatever folk do with it.
    Let you know how I get on

Profile photo of Lydia Lydia 
    Participant

They are very fun – very vivid color – and I love the novelty of the format. To me the saturation is beautiful – and sort of similar to the saturated color you get from the Radiant or Hydrus products. There’s a new similar product on Indiegogo right now – Viviva color sheets – so I’ll give them a go too 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2017 Doodlewash® | Privacy & Cookie Policy | Disclosure

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account