Pen n Wash

• What do you folks use as your pen when you do pen wash? I’ve been using the archival pens…cant think what they are called….but they get ruined quickly. It seems that writing over the watercolor ruins them first use!
    Is this what people are using the fountain pens for? I’m afraid I’ll ruin a painting with them….big ink blob!

I use pen both before and after, depending on what I’m painting, but mostly before because I like to use it to establish my values.

There are a lot of variables that affect your pen when using watercolor – how much pressure you apply, the tooth of the paper, the paint itself.  Paints that granulate have particles that can clog a pen and even worse, if they have mica to make them shiny, they can be death to fabric tip.

I’ve found Microns to be the most delicate. Pitt artists pens and Staedler are better.  I’ve had the most luck with my Zebra Zensations Technical pens.  But none will survive if you are applying too much pressure.

Aha. Thank you, Sandra!

How did Constantine Brancusi redefine sculpture?

How did Constantine Brancusi redefine sculpture?

Second-Wave Museum Closures: Which Museums Have Shuttered Amid New Lockdowns?

Second-Wave Museum Closures: Which Museums Have Shuttered Amid New Lockdowns?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.