Qor – Love them or Leave them?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Wow, you’ve done some beautiful work!  I followed you.  My flickr site is here.   I’ve got 8,380,938 hits on Flickr.  That doesn’t always translate to getting people to my blog, but I think I’ll get some of them to my Facebook group once it is up.

I’ll let you know once the group is up.  I’m planning on the 5th.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

that is incredible to have that many hits! I just checked, I have 40 k. Seriously, how do you get that many people to look at your stuff? Oh, and thank for the compliment about the tangles. I’ve kept you from your book all afternoon, lol. At least we’re on the same time zone, hehehe.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

On Flickr I actually started with ATCs.  I was obsessing over them and doing heavy trading (are you sensing a theme here?).  Between that and the tangling, I just got a lot of followers.  I do so many different types of art now, that I think they come back just to see what the heck I’m doing now.

I also make an effort to do a certain number of likes and comments every day.  I have a routine, and generally can get most of my socializing and link searching done within an hour while I have my coffee and breakfast.  Once or twice a week, I spend more like 2 or 3 hours.  I usually get on several times a day, to see who has responded to my posts, but try to keep those visits to 10-15 minutes or less if possible.

Of course, every once in a while I join a new group and just spend waaaaay too much time there.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

hehehe, that was a wink, wink, nudge, nudge about spending too much time on a NEW site, lol. I noticed about an hour ago our stats are through the roof, Thomas isn’t gonna be thrilled. He’s been top of the heap on the leaderboard ever since it started. Just by talking all afternoon our stats are through the stratosphere, what’s your number now?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’m only at 315.  Your’s have really gone ballistic!  I do need to sign off now.  Hubby wants me to help him with some repairs.  I’ll talk with you tomorrow!

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

it was lovely talking to you, if I  need help can I bend your ear?

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Yes, you can.  I won’t always promise to respond immediately but I will as soon as I can.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Thanks Sandra, all the info you imparted yesterday was incredibly helpful. How did you post to Sakura? They don’t seem to have a twitter page and I’m unclear about Facebook. I went searching for Facebook and twitter companies last night. One, I thnk it was derwent didn’t have a place to post to on Facebook, usually there’s  a place at the top that asks what you’re thinking or something. If there isn’t somewhere to post to on a company’s Facebook page, do you just pick one of their posts and post to that? Thanks in advance. No problem if it takes you time to respond, I just appreciate the help!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer,

Facebook and Twitter are the two main places I contact the companies.  On Facebook for the U.S., the Sakura site is at https://www.facebook.com/SakuraofAmerica/.  I think that’s also the site for Canada, but I’m not sure.  If you can’t find a link for either Facebook or Canada (for any company), find their website.  Don’t worry if you can’t find the right country.  Contact their help desk, tell them what country you are in, and let them know you are trying to follow on Facebook and Twitter.  They’ll get you to the right place.  I’ve ended up asking companies on their French and Japanese sites how to follow them in the U.S.

With any company on FB, the first step of course is to like them.  I don’t necessarily respond to every post they make, but I try to comment occasionally, share their giveaways or about new products coming up.  After a while, I’ll post a work I’ve done with their product(s).  By commenting first, you won’t be coming in cold.

Most of the sites have a place where you can comment, usually just before their posts begin.  When you post, it won’t show in their main feed or may not show at all, but they see it.  Sometimes, they’ll have a feed off to the right where outside posts show up, but either way they usually like to vet what is coming in so nothing inappropriate gets posted.

If you can’t find a place to comment, message them.  I just say that I’ve done this piece with such and such a product and really liked the result that I got.  Some sites now have a chat window that pops up, and that’s a good place to post your work.

If you can’t find a place to comment, or can’t message them or they just never respond, it means they aren’t interested in marketing that way.  It can take a while for a response, though.  Usually, if you don’t hear anything within 2-3 weeks, you won’t.  Sometimes, you might have to post several pictures before they’ll respond.

It also helps to follow them where ever you can and comment.  You want them to know you are active on social media of more than one kind.  They are looking at you as someone who can market their work.

When you decide on what to share, consider your followers too.  It’s a balance. If you retweet or repost every ad or sale, your followers will tune you out as a spammer.  Try to determine what your followers want to know, and retweet/post accordingly.

For instance, I retweet almost everything I see that has to do with Stillman and Birn.  They don’t do a lot of advertising, so I retweet their posts, and I retweet when anybody else post work they’ve done in a Stillman & Birn notebook.  This helps both Stillman & Birn, and increases my followers because the artists appreciate that I retweet their work.   Zebra pens, I don’t retweet as much.  They tend to do a lot of advertising that I think would annoy my readers if I over do it.  I retweet their giveaways, when they are doing a special promotion for charity, and any work that I see another artists has done with their products.

That’s another thing too – do searches on the company name in both Facebook and Twitter.  If you see an artist, especially one who posts a lot using the products, then follow them too.  That way they’ll show up in your feed.  I use Hootsuite to manage Twitter and have lists where I add these people and the companies, so I don’t have to weed through the ones I’m not so interested in.

I recommend setting up an Instagram account even if you can’t post your paintings.  You can still follow the companies and other artists and connect with them there. Later, if you get where you can post you are all set to go and will already have followers, because lots of people will follow you back when you follow them.

Okay, that’s probably enough to confuse you with for now.  Ask away with any other questions you have.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I have to let you all know what just happened.  A Marketing representative from Golden messaged me on Facebook and offered to replace my faulty tube of Cobalt Green!  The only place that I mentioned that tube was here at Doodlewash.

I have to say this changed my mind about the price of Qor’s paints.  I still can’t afford to make them my go-to paint but I’m more willing to pay the price because I know that the company is listening to what people are saying and are reaching out to stand by their product.  Good customer service is rare these days and definitely worth a little extra money.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

ok, that’s fantastic! This is why I love good companies and great customer service. It’s why I love wetpaintart.com and would love to be an ambassador for them. Customer service is king.

Thomas Blanchard
    Participant
    @thomas

That’s great Sandra.  Awesome THEY found you!!

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Golden is a GREAT company.  I would not buy another acrylic, ever.  And in our business (museum conservation) they have a staff that works to educate us about product (not stuff sold at art stores) and help us experiment if we must.  And Jennifer, agreed about wetpaintart — they and merriartist in Oregon are who I buy supplies from.  Wet Paint also carries my favorite journals, Hahnemuhle.  Both ship free at a certain point (which is tooooo easy to reach!)  I also like working with small store owners to keep the ones who KNOW STUFF in business.  Blick’s bought a good store in Portland and I wanted to give them a chance, but honestly, no one ever knows anything… they walk over and read what I just read to me, after I told them I read it!.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Kate Powell.
    Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I used to work in Downtown Portland, and I took the lightrail home.  It was a bit of a walk from where I worked at 100 SW Market St., but at least once a month I’d go to Art Media and then catch the light rail there.  I agree – Blick’s has a wider selection, but not half the soul of Art Media.

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

There is no way I can do this as much as you guys… Gotta work!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account