Review-Da Vinci Watercolor 12-Full Pan Travel Tin

This topic contains 98 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Tonya, I haven’t had a chance to play with the green umber yet.  I have a Schmincke dot card and liked the color so I ordered it, but it just arrived a few days ago.  I do a lot of animal paintings and wanted a weaker brown that was green-biased without actually being green, so I think it will work for what I have in mind (fingers crossed).

I’m eager to try it in some mixes too.  I was thinking it might be good for desert terrain.

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

Oh it might work well for that! I hope so and yes, fingers crossed! When you have a chance to break it out, let me know what you think. I always love to hear others opinions about a product, especially when I know that certain someone is brilliant. 😉💖

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you for the compliment.  And speaking of those, I meant to add that your painting is beautiful.  I haven’t played with lighter washes of the Schmincke colors and you are inspiring me to do so!

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

Just telling the truth about my high opinion of your opinion. 😊💕

Thomas Blanchard 
    Participant
    @thomas

Lovely landscape Tonya.

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

Sandra, back to the topic at hand… I got very excited because I saw that DV has Perylene Green listed in their print color chart, but when I look online, it’s not there anymore. So sad because the cost of this one is rather high, and after discovering the great performance and value of DV, it is hard to pay more. Thanks again for your review!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Wah!  I would have loved to have Perylene Green from Da Vinci! Hopefully, it will be offered again. Hmmm. Wonder if I can find it on Ebay or something.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Yup.  There was a tube available on Ebay, so I bought it.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Ok, I’m here. Now that you’ve used the paints for a while, how do you think they’re fairing?? I’m gonna go back and read this thread again…

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer, I’ve bought several more colors since, and I’ve found the consistency to be the same for all of them.  I like them very much and they’ve become my go-to paints.  I’m really hoping to win the current giveaway!

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Hehehe, me too. It’d be absolutely thrilled to be able to choose my own colors for the 12 color palette. I have the dot card and I love their consistency. Can’t wait to have a full range.

Sharon Nolfi 
    Participant
    @sharonnolfi

Sandra, did you alter the 12 color palette in any way to add more colors? I noticed Thomas commenting that he removed the inner tray and then attached 18 full pans directly to the tin bottom. I’d like to add more colors to my 12 color tin, but not sure how to do it. Also, any particular DV colors you recommend?

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Sharon, I didn’t alter the palette, I started filling another one, lol. Eventually, I’ll get a larger palette and put them altogether. I bought the Quinacridone set -Quinacridone Gold, Quinacridone Burnt Orange, Quinacridone Red, Quinacridone Violet, Rose Madder,  Brown Madder, and  Cobalt Blue, Indanthrene Blue, Prussian Blue (GS), Benzimida Orange, Alizarin Gold, Da Vinci Violet, Perylene Green, Raw Umber Natural, and Payne’s Grey.  I plan to buy Sepia eventually because I want another green-oriented brown.

I’m leery about recommending colors because it depends on what you want to paint. The set has a good mix of basic colors, though I took out the white and added Cobalt Blue, which I will recommend if you do skies very often.  I use Indanthrene Blue for night or twilight skies.

My choices were centered around colors that I was close to running out of and curiousity. I wanted to see what the Madders and Alizarin Gold were like.  I find the Da Vinci earth colors weaker than I’m used to – there isn’t too much difference between Burnt Sienna and Quinacridone Burnt Orange in tinting strength.  Brown Madder is very like both.  Rose Madder very like Permanent Rose and Rose Madder.  I won’t recommend the Quinacridone set, rather advise that you buy separate colors because of the similarities.

I do like the Alizarin Gold – it’s sort of an Indian Orange-Red, but I like earth colors for painting my animals.  The same with Raw Umber Natural.  It’s a transparent earth color that leans more toward green than the Brown Umber.

I’ve found all the colors to have a similar consistency and haven’t dislikes any of them.  Some I won’t buy again just because they are similar to other colors I like a bit better.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

I wish they had a transparent orange, how transparent is the Benzimida Orange in Da Vinci compared to Schmincke transparent orange Sandra?? Or do you not have that one? I was surprised that there wasn’t a transparent orange. I also SO wanted Violet iron oxide (DV) when I ordered from Curry’s with their clearance sale. Too bad they’re out of the perylene green or I”d order one for Tonya. :o(

I loved the violet umber that Tonya (I think that was the color name) was talking about a few months ago, from American Journey, I fell in love with that color! GOTTA get it somehow, Cheap Joe’s shipping to Canada really sucks though.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I don’t have the Schmincke Transparent Orange to compare but Benzimida Orange is PO62 and transparent Orange is PO71.

Both are listed as semi-transparent.  Schmincke has a PO62 listed as chromium orange hue.  Chromium sounds more opaque to me but it’s listed as semi-transparent, as well.

Handprint has PO62 listed as ‘lightfast, semiopaque, staining, moderately light valued, intense orange pigment’ and PO71 as ‘Pyrrole orange PO71 is a lightfast, opaque, staining, moderately dark valued, very intense red orange pigment manufactured exclusively by Ciba Specialty Chemicals (SZ)’.

I suspect that Transparent Orange (Aka Translucent Orange) is probably redder and darker and that the two are about the same transparency-wise.

Qor’s Transparent Pyrrole Orange is probably closer since it is also PO71. It is listed as transparent.  It’s one of my favorite colors in all the world, too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account