Review-Da Vinci Watercolor 12-Full Pan Travel Tin

This topic contains 98 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

And I think the Portland grey gloom adds a stress no matter what.  At least this year we’ve had more sun than usual. I’d be happy if the ice would go away now, and not come back. Even if I don’t go out it worries me because I know Portland is never prepared for it.

Kate Powell 
    Participant
    @kate-powell

I use the Aquabee Super Deluxe 8×8 journal a lot for mixing colors.  The paper has tooth and I glue the edges down so I have a “block” and that works well.

My colors are driven largely by what I paint… journalling versus USk versus objects.

Amazon has the Perelyn Green… but I assume is is more opaque?

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Aquabee has good paper for the price.  I’ve never tried it for watercolor though.  I think the DV Perylene Green is more transparent than the Schmincke though I haven’t thought to actually compare the two side by side.  It’s so dark with either brand.

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

This isn’t a great shot & the paint is still slightly wet, hence the sheen, but this can give you an idea of the two Perylene greens that we’re talking about. The color of both brands is extremely similar but I think DV has more depth to it and appears richer. The Schmincke seems rather flat on a page, but I have performance issues with their paints. I’ll try to get a better photo tomorrow in natural lighting. And yes, I think I’ll try to track down more. I need want a few more colors also. 😀

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

I’m a nature and landscape painter, so my palette is pretty muted and heavy compared to most… especially botanical painters! Those folks would say my 18-color palette with 5 earths and 4 greens is boring. 🙂 But oh how I love transparent pigments… and I build my palette around the colors I use the most, which are browns, blues and greens. Makes sense to me!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, for the Perylene Green comparison chart, Tonya!  I’m glad to know I wasn’t too far off in my reaction to them.

It just made me realize too what I do like about the latest Schmincke set.  Not just the Perylene green but some of the other colors as well.

It’s because of the way I go for depth in my backgrounds when I have a strong subject I want to push forward.  The flatter colors give more the feeling of distance and emphasize the modeling of the subject, like my animals or birds.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I’m finding more and more that the colors that make me go ‘ooh’ and ‘I want’ aren’t the colors I go for when I’m painting.  That makes me sad in a way, but I decided that kind of thing is your style trying to come out and you’ll never be happy with your work until you embrace it.

Of course, my real goal in life is not to have ‘a’ style but to master all of them! I don’t expect to succeed, but then the journey is everything after all.

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

By the way, this is totally off topic, but did the points system go away?!? All my points disappeared off of the forum homepage.

Okay back to the topic… Utrecht still has it at a normal price with free shipping for $35 and more. I just ordered 3 more. And now I’m done! I have a couple of years of Perylene Green stashed, and I can’t spend any more money until we’re through building our house and make sure it stays in budget. Or less than budget! 🙂

https://www.utrechtart.com/Da-Vinci-Artists–Permanent-Watercolors–Perylene-Green-MP-00371-071-i1027983.utrecht

Tonya L 
    Participant
    @tonya

Schmincke paints do have a very soft focus to them, similar to many WN brands. Most USA paints are sort of in-your-face bold. I like that aspect until they began to vibrate off of the page. I’ve dropped most quins and ultra blue because they tend to have that dayglow effect, but I do like them in the EU brands. WN Cobalt is my favorite midrange blue, but I don’t use it because it has trouble holding its own in a mix with the USA brands that I use.

The variety of paints available always amazes me, but I agree with you Sandra… just because i love it (and I lovely nearly every color) doesn’t mean that I’ll paint with it. I love love love DS Phthalo Turquoise and just added it to my palette. On whether or not I’ll actually use it, the verdict is still out.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

The DO points are still there, but they don’t show on the forum pages.  You can get to the entire Leaderboard by going to ‘Community’ at the top of the page and choosing the ‘DO Points Leaderboard’ from the menu.

Thank you for the link.  I may buy another couple of tubes, even though I am trying to step back on the amount I’m buying.  We’ll be supplementing my Mother’s income for the next few years and that is probably going to eat into my art budget.  Ah well.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Kate, I forgot to mention – that Amazon price for Perylene Green is pricey! Tonya’s posted the link to Utrecht – much better price!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Tonya, Phthalo Turquoise is one of those colors (along with Cobalt Turquoise) that I really love, but unless I’m painting a underwater scene, which I rarely do, I almost never use either one. I suspect I’ll always want to have a tube or pan somewhere – because I do occasionally do an underwater scene, but it won’t be in my main palette anymore.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Hehehe, Tonya, you make me laugh, because I SO agree with what you said. I love all the colors and can never have enough BUT damn, I hate that colors sit in my palette unused. Where we differ is in which we USE. I gravitate to the brightest colors on the planet, lol. I see the beauty in all the ones you use and think your art is stunning. Just every time I go to use those colors I end up adding brights and not having the “look” I went for. I think Sandra’s right. We have to accept the things we gravitate to naturally or we’ll never be happy. Hopefully, over time, we  flit like a butterfly to other color groups. I haven’t painted long enough to see that happen but I’m hoping as I get to 10 years I’ll see a subtle change as I continue to paint. We’ll see.

BTW, glad to see you found more Perlyene green!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Jennifer, Tonya and I are stockpiling all the DV Perylene Green in the world and when everyone else suddenly realizes how valuable it is, we’ll RULE! If we haven’t used it all by then.

Jennifer McLean 
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Hehehe, I figured out your dastardly plan and applaud you! Now to sell it all back to the public and be RICH! ;o)

Wonder why they decided to not make that color in the future? I just hope they make a transparent orange next.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account