Studio Voyeurs (Share your desk!)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Beverly Wong-Kleinjan
    Participant
    @beverly-remco-kleinjan

Thanks so much Jennifer and Violeta! 🙂

Violeta – Your space is lovely! So true about adding more tables, etc. They certainly would be used! Right now, we just don’t have space for any more surfaces or storage, as we live in an older home with very small rooms and little storage space. I also have a lot of supplies pertaining to my leather journal bookbinding business as well (leather hides, fittings/notions, thread, paper, etc.) which compete for space. So I’m longing for more storage, which hopefully hubby will provide at a later stage in the form of a new counter-top that spans across the side of the study, cabinet, cupboards, etc.

Jennifer, regarding my palette – yes, I love using just a plain ceramic plate with paints all around when I’m working at home. I can mix colours easily and as the plate is ceramic, no need to worry about mixing issues. I use my travel pans when I paint in my sketchbooks on work breaks at the hospital or while traveling.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Violeta, I totally agree! I couldn’t live without it either. I use it in conjunction with Schmincke’s payne’s grey bluish, one does drop shadows and one does internal shadows within the piece. I use them interchangably but never for the same kind of shadow, I love that each kind of shadow has it’s own characteristics, giving the painting more interest. Some colors with specific brands I just couldn’t swap out for others in another brand. Schmincke neutral tint, Payne’s Grey bluish and Pure Yellow oh, and transparent orange always have a place.

Jennifer McLean
    Participant
    @jennifer-mclean

Thanks Beverly, I’ll have to search around for a square plate I like and try it.

Beverly Wong-Kleinjan
    Participant
    @beverly-remco-kleinjan

I’m so excited to share that hubby and I have been working on a makeover for my art workspace. Some new pics to show soon of my new ‘studio’. Yay!

Kate Powell
    Participant
    @kate-powell

Wow beautiful spaces.  I can see i am not getting updates on this thread!

Beverly Wong-Kleinjan
    Participant
    @beverly-remco-kleinjan

Here’s my art work space upgrade that hubby and I completed over the weekend. If you compare it to my old space in my prior photos, you’ll notice quite a change. It needed it big time! 🙂

Inspection time, by Libby the cat!

Hubby added shelves, made with a $5 reclaimed old barn wood plank that we found at a local antique shop (metal brackets from hardware store). The large fabric baskets are great for storage. I found the large wooden box in the corner of my desk from the same antique shop for $15; I added a cast iron fleur-de-lis knob on top and handles on the side. It stores my ever-growing number of paint tubes, separated by brand.

New chair! It’s great but a wee bit slippery… almost slid out of it the first time I sat down. LOL!

The white desks are from IKEA; we got one large and 2 small ones (same height) to fit over the rooms hot water radiators, so I have a larger work top with hardly any wasted space. I love the white. We’re going to get some plexiglass to cover the tops of the desks, to protect it from scratches and stains.

It was all done on a budget, but I’m so happy with it!

Later I’ll be adding a cabinet to go underneath one of the desks for some extra storage of paperwork and finished artwork.

Pamela Smith
    Participant
    @pamela-smith

Beverly your art space is beautiful,,I love how you have organized the space and the lightness of it..and the touches of dark wood..your antique wooden box is wonderful,,,

Violeta Damjanovic-Behrendt
    Participant
    @violeta_damjanovic-behrendt

Beverly, it looks pretty different. You’ve got a lot of space and it’s so clean and white. I sort of understand Libby, searching for her new spot on your desk 🙂 Enjoy!

Beverly Wong-Kleinjan
    Participant
    @beverly-remco-kleinjan

Thanks Pam & Violeta! I’m loving it. 🙂 What a difference.

Shar Kennett
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

Love the natural light in the room. What a difference that would make.

Shar Kennett
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

Your work space is wonderful – and in my hands would last about a week, if that much. 😉

Beverly Wong-Kleinjan
    Participant
    @beverly-remco-kleinjan

Thanks Shar! Just curious…why would it only last a week in your hands? Do you mean because the desk is white?

I’ve never had white furniture before, but I wanted something that would be light. Also, as we have 4 cats, I can’t stand seeing a lot of dust or cat hair on my workspace – the white ‘hides’ that to a degree. lol! Everything else, I sourced myself. The storage fabric boxes were cheap but sturdy (got at grocery store) and the wooden box to hold my paints is a carpenter’s box. As for the desk, IKEA makes some pretty sturdy ones and they’re quite inexpensive too, as desks go. I do want to get some sheets of Plexiglass to cover the tops though, to prevent scratches and stains on the white surface. I already have a small piece of Plexi underneath my palette/water bowl, just in case. Knowing me, and my klutz ways, if I spilled any paint it would be phthalo blue or something else extremely staining. Sigh.

Shar Kennett
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

Hi Beverly. What I meant is: your space is gorgeous and clean and neat. Any place I work in trends towards messy at a rapid pace. As I write this, my DR table is covered with my painting materials and I have to keep them covered with a table cover so Layla (the cockatoo) won’t get into them. (Can’t turn my back to her for a minute!) My sewing room is likewise a mess and have not had time to clean it. That will be a huge, multi-day project. I so love seeing clean and neat work spaces. Sigh…..

Mia Archambeault
    Participant
    @mia-archambeault

Those brush holders are fantastic! Where those made special or maybe repurposed candle holders? In any case that space looks peaceful and the view, oh my gosh, that view!

Delores Azary
    Participant
    @delores

What fun seeing your work space!!! I too love seeing other people’s creative spaces. I hope to take a photo of mine soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account