Vintage papers

Tagged: ,

• I would like to recommend Vintage Papers who supply antique and vintage watercolour paper, often hand-made. I’ve just received a sample pack and a pack of 50 sheets which were made in the 1950s (both promptly delivered and nicely wrapped in a cardboard box).  The link to the shop is at the top right of the home page.

This is a tiny company located on the Orkney Islands in the far north of Scotland .  Their website says, “Like many products made using natural materials, paper gets better with age, it matures, strengthens and develops its own character. Most of us will not have used or even handled paper of this quality simply because it isn’t made any more and hasn’t been for many years.  The difference between these papers and  budget paper is like night and day and when compared to modern mould-made papers these outshine and outperform”.

I’ve just received my first order from Vintage Paper Company and I must say, its very beautiful stuff.  I have a couple of packs made by W.S. Hodgkinson & Co., Ltd. at the Wookey Hole mill in Somerset, sometime in the 1950s, made with cotton rag and sized with gelatine.  It feels and looks very good and I can hardly wait to try it out.

The website provides a wealth of information about the various papers on offer including the history of the mills and is worth browsing around for anyone with an interest in fine papers.

I have no connection with this company whatsoever but felt that other watercolourists may be interested to try something different in the way of paper and experience something which certainly isn’t being produced in the same way today.

Thank you for the link.  I suspect the S&H to ship here in the U.S. would make it too costly, but it’s nice to look and dream.  And maybe one of these days, I’ll buy some anyway!

Ooooh, sounds wonderful! I’m going to check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous

Thanks for this.

🙂 please do!

Hi Susan – shipping and handling to the US starts at about $4 for trial paper packs and maximum is about $25 for large sheets of paper (even if you buy 10, 100 or 1000 sheets) so it isn’t wildly expensive! Delivery takes about 7 – 14 days.

Hope that’s helpful.

William

Vintage Paper Co, UK.

My inner paper geek just swooned!

Thanks for the info. Sounds intriguing.

That’s very reasonable.  Oooh.  Another hit to the pocketbook!

Here’s a painting I did using 60 year old paper from Vintage Paper Co

https://doodlewash.com/members/tom-cunliffe/artwork/#PhotoSwipe1507882931969

Here’s a painting  of a coastal cottage I did using 60 year old paper from Vintage Paper Co

https://doodlewash.com/members/tom-cunliffe/artwork/#PhotoSwipe1507882931969

Thanks Tom!  I make paper and love vintage papers and this is a temptation…  One thot tho — I can’t tell which image is which when you give the links to your paintings, so why not pop the image into your comment?

Thanks for that Kate – I’m still getting used to Doodle wash.

Here are two images I did using Vintage Paper Co papers.  The one of the little house is painted on 60 year old paper and the flower painting is done on new hot-pressed paper made specially for the company.  I got them both in sample packs.  William, the proprietor is a very helpful man seems to have an eagle eye out for old paper stock which would otherwise be pulped.

Prospect Cottage

A rare attempt at painting flowers!

For anyone interested in trying vintage papers, there’s now a coupon in the DO Points Shop for 25% OFF WSH Handmade Vintage Paper from Vintage Paper Co! Click here to redeem it!

What beautiful paintings, Tom.  I can’t wait to get my paper!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.