What would YOU like to see happen next on Doodlewash Club?!

Tagged: 

This topic contains 81 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Cuss 13 hours, 11 minutes ago.

• Author
     Charlie O’Shields 
    Keymaster

Post your ideas for new features here!

Elizabeth Metz 
    Participant

Could there be an archive of all the previous months’ challenges? (If there already is one, feel free to point me to it. I can miss the obvious sometimes.)

When I’m kicking around looking for something to paint, the challenge lists have been super helpful to me. Thank you!

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Hey Elizabeth! You can find the the previous art challenges at the bottom of the “About Art Challenges” page currently listed under the World Watercolor Month (I reshuffled links from now through July, so it’s a little harder to find).

Yvonne Reeder 
      Participant

Could we have a mobile app, please?  😀

I’m so seldom on my laptop but always on my iPhone or Kindle.

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

A mobile app is definitely in the plan!! Working on that now, and hoping it will be launched in the Fall!

Yvonne Reeder 
      Participant
      This reply has been marked as private.
     Elizabeth Metz 
    Participant

(Oops. Double posted. Sorry about that.)

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

No worries! My link isn’t showing up… something I’ll need to test more I guess… hehe.. so I hope my description of where to find the archived prompts makes sense! 😊

Halina Veratsennik 
    Participant

hmmm so many ideas:
    – have a section where artists can find local artists – if they want to meet for plein air session or quick sketch over coffee
    – section with links for tutorials / useful links
    – “share your tools” thread… with picture of your paints, brushes, workspace – oh I looooove to see those pictures
    – links to other social media profiles \ or a forum topic where we can post links to our websites + a separate topic for general questions

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Hey there Halina! Those are great ideas! I can definitely add forum topics like the ones you listed in the near future. As for the social links, I’m definitely wanting to add the ability to include these in your profile, but still looking into the best way to do so. (I wanted cool icons, but it may just be links to start with! hehe) For the share your tools photos, I’ll need to find a way to make it easy to share those images, yet keep them separate from the watercolor gallery images. I’m learning a lot in doing all of this, and so bear with me as I push the limits of my little brain and try to make it all happen! hehe

Kate Powell 
        Participant

I like the idea of a locality page, but people will have to say where they are from…

Tools thread, very good…

And reviews by particpants, also very good.

Terri Edge 
        Participant

I’m new here, but I’m looking for that too! I live in Michigan and as an artist I have a lot of solitary time. I would enjoy dialogue with other artists particularly in my area.

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

Welcome, Terri! Yes, that’s my ultimate hope once more artists discover Doodlewash Club and join. It’s only a few weeks only and we’re building it together as we go, so keep visiting and more and more folks will join soon! And hopefully add their location via the Location tab in their profile. The member maps can be found here: https://doodlewash.com/doodlewash-club-members-map/

TanaBelle Watercolors 
        Participant

Halina, I love your idea of finding other local artists to get together with. I know I wish I knew more painters where I am! I’m so impressed by Plein Air painters and I haven’t had the courage to go out and try it yet. For some reason it intimidates me!

TanaBelle

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Just added a Forum for Tutorials and Resources and another for Art Supplies… had to improve the forum a bit and make it nicer to post and upload images. Should be prettier and more intuitive now to create a post! Started a thread to share your tools here:  https://doodlewash.com/forums/topic/share-your-favorite-art-supplies/ to get us started. Still working how to add social links to profiles as well as location for the other ideas, but they are coming soon! 😃

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Per your suggestion, I’ve just added GeoLocation features to the club! You can now go to your Profile Tab and select “Edit Profile” to add your city, state(if applicable), and country. There is also a location tab, where you can also edit location and have it locate you  (the street address is only shown to you and not shown to other members). This will allow the new feature under the search in the Members Directory to work: https://doodlewash.com/members/ – allowing people to search for members in their area. Check it out and let me know your thoughts! (Social links in profiles are coming next… just have to find a cool way to add them!)

Claire Bureau 
        Participant

Love the Geolocation option!  My idea for a group for Canadians was really to be able to identify people who might be close by and could be interested in painting/sketching activities, but this new option might fit that bill!  I can leave the group in for now, but we’ll see as time goes on if it is really needed….

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

Glad you liked the new feature… just testing it quite a bit, but now seems to be working properly. I think the Group is still a great idea and once I finally actually advertise Doodlewash Club a bit we’ll get more folks coming to play with us! hehe (just want to be sure our smaller core group gets all the features working great first!) Speaking of which, I made some updates to the Geolocation to ensure that the street address is only displayed to the user and not anyone else. This might have disrupted some of the fields of people who already set their location. If you get a chance, can you go back to your location tab in your profile and edit location, have it it find you again and hit save? (this “should” now populate your main profile with city, Country, but I wanted to test it! Thanks!)

Claire Bureau 
        Participant

Thanks Charlie.  Just reset my location (had to do it manually as it was locating me in the neighboring large town (ISP’s location probably).  I don’t suppose we could some day see a map of where everyone is located?  That would be cool and informative!  (But mostly cool)

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

Awesome! Sorry about that… but glad it worked. And yep! I “think” I know a way to make the global map happen. Just have to try it, so it will hopefully be coming soon!

Kate Powell 
        Participant

Charlie I wonder if you can tap into “ZeeMaps” — we use it in a secret group of artists….  you know, a spy group!

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

oooooohhhh a spy group sounds so cool! hehe Yeah I looked into ZeeMaps and it looks cool, but I think it’s built into the Geo location stuff I have running, just have to figure out how to enable it!

Claire Bureau 
        Participant

Do you ever sleep?!?

Kate Powell 
        Participant

Hahahaaaaa!

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

Not a lot!! hehe Too many ideas running through my head most of the time. 😊 😊

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

A map has been added to the Members Directory which displays the location of members on each page of results, and there’s now a Members Global Map link under “Community” in the main site navigation that has a searchable map that brings up markers for every member who has a location added. (clicking an icon will bring up an artist’s info, and Artist’s Bio if they’ve completed that in their profile) Take a look and let me know your thoughts!

Claire Bureau 
        Participant

I just checked out the Map feature!  That was quick!!  I don’t know if it’s just me, but in the ‘Member Directory’ map, I only see a marker with a total number for each state, not each person’s location, and if I click on the marker, only one person shows up, even though the marker might say 8 (like the Maine one for example).  On the “Members Global Map”, I see one marker for each country or state (no number this time) and only one person’s details show up if I click a marker.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Claire Bureau.
         Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

On the Members Directory Map, I wasn’t entirely sure what the numbers meant! hehe I think it’s a ranking of search results, but there is indeed only one marker per person. On the Global Map, each icon also only represents a single person, but sometimes when you click on a cluster it will fan out the icons so you can click one (you can also zoom in of course). But yes, once you click a particular marker it just pops up the information for that single person. Only about 26 members have added their location info so far… this will get more interesting the more people who add it.

Claire Bureau 
        Participant

Thanks for the clarification.  You are right about the numbers… not clear what they represent….  Thanks again for the feature!

Jakki Garlans 
        Participant

Charlie – I spend half my time in Connecticut and the other half in Florida. Is there any way to have two locations specified? I could have missed that feature. Thanks

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

I’ve added a Social Media Links tab for everyone to enter links to their social sites! Go to your Profile tab and click “Edit” – You now have 3 links at the top to edit your About section, Social Media Links, and even add an Artist Bio! Couldn’t yet, figure out how to add the icons, but once these fields are filled out, I can add them in the future. I’ve added the primary social spaces, but if I missed a social space that you’d like me to add, just let me know!

Jessica Wesolek 
    Participant

HI Charlie – what a great idea this group is!
    I do have a question – how does a member set up an Album to put art in? Can’t figure that out.

I would love to see a forum for product reviews. I know Doodlewashed has formal reviews on the blog, but I’m thinking more free form – like a “look what I found” kind of thing, where artists can sing the praises of materials they think work really well (or not).

Maybe this should be under Tips & Tricks – not sure? Just know I love to hear about great papers, paint brands, brushes, and everything “watercolor”.

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Yeah, I’m woefully behind on building a lovely Getting Started page! hehe… For Albums, go to your profile and click on the Artwork tab. You’ll see “Uploads” and “Albums” at the top. Click On “Albums” and you’ll see a “Create an Album” button. Click this and you name and create your album. Once created you can add files to it right in your profile. For now, it’s just a single image at a time at the moment as this allows you to create a description for each one that only gets applied to that piece of art rather than the entire group. Next, if you add an image via the News Feed, you’ll see an Album link under the post. Click that if you want to add it to an album. When you view an image in the lightbox (full screen black background) you can always click the text at the top to go directly to the post where you’ll see the Album link.

And that’s a great idea by the way! I honestly thought I had something set up like that, but in all my testing I think I deleted the forum. I’ll have to add it back! 😊

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Just wanted to let you know that there is now an Art Supply Review forum for members so feel free to make a topic about whatever you’d like to talk about: https://doodlewash.com/forums/forum/art-supply-reviews/

Mel Scott 
    Participant

as an art educator I have noticed that people are fearful of watercolor…..one thing I would like to hear and see is how others teach getting over the fear or watercolors.
    I finally hit on coffee paintings as an introduction to watercolor classes. The students were terrified of color but I noticed them bringing in coffee each day…so we began painting with that. That lead to an understanding of the amount of water versus medium….they understood monochromatic painting…then they began begging for color.
    Ideas to break the inhibitions. Watercolor is the most forgiving medium out there….but it has a reputation for being hard..no mistakes.

Kate Powell 
      Participant

That is a great topic Mel…

Yvonne Reeder 
        Participant

Mel, that is flippin brilliant!!!  Maybe I should try that because these watercolours have me completely befuddled!  lol

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

That’s such a wonderful idea to do! I have seen lots of people intimidated by watercolor and color mixing and the like. I love the idea of just making images first, gaining confidence and then demanding color! That’s awesome! If you’d ever like to create a group here on Doodlewash, feel free, I’ve opened up the Groups feature so everyone can create their own watercolor group! You’ll now see “Create A Group” option on the Groups page. 😉

Patricia Mellett Brown 
    Participant

YAY! Thank you Charlie for creating this club, I suspect I shall be hanging around here rather a lot! I like Halinas idea of a section where artists can meet locally. Maybe a section where people can introduce themselves when they join?!? All the best, Patricia.

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Yay! Glad to hear that Patricia! I think this will be a wonderful little club, but I still have lots to work out, of course, based on the wonderful ideas of its members! I love the new member introduction idea… just have to figure out where it might work best!

Kate Powell 
    Participant

Is there a way that the emails can be held to once a day in our settings?  I am already getting pings about half-dozen times a day so this cold be crazy very soon!  I know this is probably a big html request and I can be patient….

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Hehe… you’re already popular!! Actually, you can only turn emails on or off, but I’m looking into the daily digest idea because it’s cool. For now, you can go to your Settings tab in your profile (might need to click to more icon at the far right of the tabs to see the rest, Settings is last), and then select Email to change your notifications. There’s a list and you can turn off the ones that you don’t want to see whenever they happen.

Kate Powell 
        Participant

but but but i don wanna turn them off… i just want to get them once a day…  when you get to it that’d be nice.  in the meantime i turned off my dinging bell on mac to alert me to a new email.  whew.

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

Hehe… yeah… I tend always have my dinging bell turned off! That thing drives me crazy! I can’t promise I’ll be able to figure out how to batch them, but I’ll keep looking into it!

Kate Powell 
    Participant

I think this is going to be as big as FB for watercolorists… such a great idea!  All the art without all the other stuff!  Yay!

Patricia Mellett Brown 
      Participant

That’s what I’m hoping Kate😀👏😀

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

I hope so too!! Actually, I started this group specifically because a lot of artists in my group were getting a little tired of all the other stuff on Facebook and some stopped using it entirely. Then I got complaints of always seeing the same “popular” posts over and over and nothing was in chronological order. I found a hack to get the real order back, but it mysteriously stopped working. Then they fled to Instagram and now Facebook turned it into the same thing and people’s posts started disappearing if they didn’t already have a lot of followers, replaced by a sponsored one every 3 or 4 images, and an algorithm that decides what you’d like to see for you. While maybe this works for other interests, I think it’s horrible for art and artists. It just seems like there’s a better way for us and I’m hoping we can discover that and build that new way together!

Kate Powell 
        Participant

I finally got Instagram to work but Instagram leaves out a lot of people who don’t want phones that can do everything including their taxes!  I see it as just another place to post, not a place to connect with artist.  Since I am gearing up to teach classes, I am giving it a try but gads!  I also want a place where I don’t have to get into politics or abuse or … you know.

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

I agree! I’m hoping we can make Doodlewash Club exactly that sort of place!! Once we get a few more folks, I think we can really get something cool going here. (and there will be an app coming in the Fall to make it easier to get notifications… just figured out how to do that! Lol)

Sandee Setliff 
    Participant

An app for translating different languages, please.

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Great idea! Definitely looking into site-wide translation plugins now! Not sure which or if will auto-translate comments like Facebook, but looking into it!

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Just wanted to give an update on this… I’m definitely going to try to make Doodlewash multi-lingual, but I wasn’t able to do it in time for July so am waiting until August after our big World Watercolor Month event has concluded… just in case I break something briefly (which has been known to happen since I’m soooo not a programmer). hehe But watch for it coming soon!!

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

I’m currently testing translation and there’s now a drop-down in the sidebar of the community sections to switch to a different language. It’s only Google Translate, and I’m looking into something that would allow you to translate comments similar to Facebook. In the meantime, if you switch to a different language, and then back to your own, any comments in another language will get translated as well.

Mel Scott 
    Participant

how about discussion on  :

How do you determine the price of a painting?  I imagine that is varied according to countries.  I woul like tohear how others do this.

How to you find a support group for your art? Or is a support group necessary ?

How do you find the correct gallery?  What about Why is pre stretching necessary with some papers and not others?

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Mel, so sorry for the delay in responding to this…. World Watercolor Month is so busy I get a bit behind on things. 😊  I’ve added a Selling Your Art Forum as I think this is a great idea! Feel free to add the first topic!!

Terri Edge 
    Participant

U r doing a great job! Thank you for all of your hard work !

Terri

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Aww thanks so much, Terri!! I really appreciate hearing that!! 😃

Kev bates 
    Participant

hi just an observation but when i click on my fb profile link for my art page it opens up in the same window, would it not be better opening in a new window?

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Great suggestion… I wasn’t sure how to fix it, but just discovered a way so it’s changed now! Thanks, Kev!! 😃

Peggy Berk 
    Participant

Hi Charlie,

Though I was posting on this thread today about artist ID on the works posted in the Member Gallery, but apparently the post escaped… I have no idea where it went!

Apologies if I’ve messed things up (and feel free to move or date the post if it’s problem where it landed…)

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

No worries! And I don’t think there’s currently a way to add an artist ID since I’m using a plugin and I can only do what it allows me to do. But I’ll definitely pass the suggestion along to the developers!!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

Is there a badge or logo can we can display on our blogs so people can find the site?

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

I was going to create something, but keep running out of time. Here’s something would work for now and if I create something new in the future I’ll post that! (right-click to “save as…”) 😉  This could link to the main information page that has a login button here: https://doodlewash.com/community/

Doodlewash Club Badge

Sandra Strait 
        Participant

Thank you, Charlie.  I’ve got it up and working at my blog!

Charlie O’Shields 
        Keymaster

Yay! That was quick! hehe Awesome, Sandra! 😃👍🏻

SnehLata Maheshwari 
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi everyone , i am new</p>
    And from India. I liked

This platform ,n very much

Impressed all of u respected

Artist. About logo, i agree

This to find out the site.

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Thrilled you’re enjoying Doodlewash Club, Snehlata! Badge is posted above under Sandra’s comment! 😉👍🏻

Nay Aung 
    Participant

Hope you’re working on mobile app Charlie! I think it is more accessible for most of us  if we have mobile app 🙂

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

I’m working on it! Trying to find an affordable solution, but think I’ve landed on one. 😊 This is still my hobby project, so will need to get help from sponsors to keep it free for artists! 😉

Nay Aung 
    Participant

Wish you’ll find the best and affordable solution as soon as possible Charlie 🙂

EK O’Connor 
    Participant

I would love it if we could import the daily challenge to our online calendars.  For example, we’d sign up for it, and each day that day’s challenge would show up in our online calendars automatically.  🙂

Sandra Strait 
    Participant

This might be more work than it was worth, but I was thinking that many companies would love the chance to tell us about their product (s).  Maybe if they had a forum or could submit a form that followed a certain structure – who they are, how long they’ve been in business, what they sell, why it is THE thing for us to buy, that kind of thing.  I suspect that if you gave them something like that they’d love to have it posted here.  They get exposure, we learn about products we might not know about, and the companies would write most of it up, so you’d only have to okay it and post it.

I know that there are advertising magazines, free to the consumer, that do that kind of thing and the companies pay to be included.

Just a thought.

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

Great idea, Sandra! That’s something I’m definitely considering, as sponsors are indeed what keeps this site running and free for artists! Just have to figure out the best way to do it and in a way that adds value for the sponsor.

Rebecca Coday 
    Participant

Can we reverse the date order of the thread? I’d far rather see the newest posts on type, rather than scrolling down, down, down. IYKWIM?

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

I totally agree, Rebecca! Looking into this one. Weirdly… there’s no option built-in to the system, so I’ll have to do so digging to find the best add-on solution. Stay tuned! 🙂

saurabh gogisetti 
    Participant

hi I’m Saurabh from India.I’m New to this website, I’m 21 years old, studying Life Sciences(Biotechnology, Biochem..etc..). I got to know about this through Instagram as an advertisement. I checked out the website & was very happy as it was free & not charging anything. I love animals & plants. I m self taught & I try learning from YouTube videos & other artist works. never went for any drawing workshops. Sadly my family doesn’t support my work. I’m very happy to share my work pieces here. Will keep you all updated with whatever I produce..

Love Saurabh(aka Saucy)

Charlie O’Shields 
      Keymaster

So thrilled you joined our community, Saucy! 😃 You’ve come to the right place to learn and be inspired by other like-minded artists! Hope you’ll enjoy it here and can’t want to see what you paint!

Charlie

Elizabeth Metz 
    Participant

Could we get a social main thread?  Things that may not fit in supplies or tutorials, but let members get to know one another?  (A place for intros, semi-off-topic stuff, random lists of stupid internet quizzes about what color you are, that kind of thing? :D)

Kate Powell 
      Participant

As in, ima beach gurl who likes long walks in the rain?

Elizabeth Metz 
        Participant

Then I’m the love that you’ve looked for…write to meeeeee and escape.

(I just totally earwormed myself.)

Susan Cuss 
    Participant

What would be helpful on this forum (I’m not sure of all the others) would be to have the most recent posts at the top. Then I’d know if there’s a newer post without having to scroll all the way to the end of the forum. Just a thought……

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

©2015-2017 Doodlewash® | Privacy & Cookie Policy | Disclosure

X
- Enter Your Location -
- or -
or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account