Friends Across The Globe

Penguin Polar Bear Christmas Holiday Ornaments Watercolor Illustration

For our Doodlewash prompt of “Glass,” combined with the Inktober Prompt of “Ornament,” we have a couple of holiday ornaments. I thought a penguin and polar bear would be fun to place inside and realized I’d unknowingly created a bit of a concept. Though you often see polar bears and penguins around the holidays depicted together, they are actually worlds apart, of course. With the polar bear primarily in the Arctic Circle at the northernmost part of the planet and the emperor penguin in Antarctica at the southernmost part of the globe. Though they are often shown in illustrations as being good friends, the truth, in reality, is that they’ve never once met outside of a zoo. That’s the beauty of drawing and painting as we can make anything in the world happen! And equally the beauty of being connected online to all of you, even though we might be world’s apart. I feel so lucky to have found each of you! So, with a doodlewash evocative of the holidays, this felt like the perfect moment to send you each much love and warm wishes for the days ahead. I hope that you have a wonderful time with those you love most and days full of hope and creativity! Those are the main ingredients I’ve personally been employing this month as I’m in a “try anything that comes to mind mode” and figuring it all out as I go along. Thanks for being with me on my journey.

Though I often paint glass, today’s challenge was supremely difficult in that it was the very first time I’ve ever attempted to draw glass. As it turns out, drawing glass is way more difficult. Had this been my usual approach, I would have just inked in a few shapes and let watercolor do the rest of the magic. But, this month, I’m determined to create an ink sketch that stands alone, so this is what it looked like before I added color.

Penguin Polar Bear Christmas Holiday Ornaments Inktober 2019 Illustration
In truth, I only imagined this one in black and white, so adding color was a definite adventure. What I’ve adored about this month’s exploration is that I’ve been constantly learning new things by playing with the dance between watercolor and ink. The lovely choreography between doodle and wash. And, best of all, I’ve just been having the most fun ever, which for me, is always the best way to create things. Granted, I still have limited time, so it’s all still an imagine it, scribble it, doodle it, and color it approach. Everything I make is also in the confines of a sketchbook. It’s my playground and practice, and a place I love to visit each and every day. So, I hope you’ve enjoyed watching my little explorations this month.

And a huge thanks to all of my fellow artists out there. You are a constant stream of creative ideas and inspiration! Sure, the wacky or whimsical things that appear from me likely don’t resemble at all what you’ve created, but that’s just our own personal styles at work. I watch everything people create like a diligent student, and it’s equally why you often find me commenting with just expressions of awe. And whether it’s a work by a master maker with years of experience or someone who just starting creating art, I’m instantly in love. I truly am. I’m Little Charlie all over again experiencing the wonder and magic that the world has to offer. That color choice you made, perhaps without even thinking too much about it was brilliant! I’m going to borrow a bit of that. And those bold lines you created in your last sketch simply because you didn’t have very much time? Yep, equally brilliant, and totally inspiring. When I first set out this month to mix things up and create ideas from my own imagination, I was initially terrified. But, you made me feel like I could DO it, and for that I’m immensely grateful. And more than that, you showed me what’s possible when you yourself create from the heart. Whether you call yourself a maker, crafter, artist, doodler, chef, cook, or writer, you’ve inspired me. And I feel so lucky to live in a time when we can do what we truly love, while experiencing the magic of making friends across the globe.

Want To Sketch Stuff With Me? Check Out My Activity Book!

Da Vinci Paint Co.: Gold Ochre, Terra Cotta, Ultramarine (Green Shade), Cobalt Turquoise, Vermilion, and Quinacridone Red. Lamy Al-Star Safari Fountain Pen (Broad Nib) with black ink in an A5 Hahnemühle Watercolour Book. Want to purchase a print of this doodlewash? Send me a note with a link to this post, and I’ll add it to my shop!
Penguin Polar Bear Christmas Holiday Ornaments Watercolor Illustration Sketchbook Detail
  1. Karen Fortier 1 month ago

Oh Charlie, what fantastic ornaments! I agree that it is very special to make art friends from around the world! Sharing this daily process of DOodling has become a treasured part of my day.

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks so much, Karen! 😃💕 Yay! Thrilled to hear it! Mine as well… it’s been way more fun painting with friends!

2. Mary Roff 1 month ago

Wonderful glass ornaments!! Love this world wide community and find inspiration seeing everyone’s art each day.

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks, Mary! 😃💕 Me too! It’s sooooo inspiring! Makes me want to come back and DO each and every day!

3. Sandra Strait 1 month ago

It is amazing how taking a slightly different approach can change your result, and yet your style still comes out making it uniquely yours! I love your glass ornaments!

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks, Sandra! 😃💕 Glad you liked this! Oh wow… glass and ink…. I had NO clue how to do it! lol Fun to try and learn!

4. Walter F Pierluissi 1 month ago

You know, my wife is from Chile and in the Xtreme south of Chile you can find the King Pinguins. They are simply beautiful. So, I like your concept of setting the pinguin face to face with the polar bear, representing the two extremes of our Planet… Is funny but the most southern part of Chile is known as “Tierra de Fuego” which means Land of Fire… And is the last corner of Earth because next stop is Antarctic…

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Glad you enjoyed this, Walt! 😃 That’s so interesting about Chile! I’ve never been, but it’s one place I’d love to visit one day!

5. Lisa Ann Ulibarri 1 month ago

Both of these are so gorgeous!!! i am very happy to know you too Charlie and all of this lovely community. It is a true blessing to connect to others artistically. Seeing everyone creating from their hearts and supporting each other is pretty wonderful.

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks so much, Lisa! 😃💕 So thrilled you’re enjoying the community! Yeah, it’s nice to have a smaller space outside of the big social spaces. Love our little club!

6. Sharon Nolfi 1 month ago

Sending love and warm wishes right back to you! I wish I owned those ornaments, and I think you did a great job drawing and painting them.

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks so much, Sharon! 😃💕 Can’t thank you enough for all of your encouragement!

7. Lisa 1 month ago

I never would have given it a thought that glass would be harder to draw than paint. But it makes sense, because glass is nothing and watercolor, being transparent, is nothing too. But ink is something. At least I assume yours is not transparent. Ink does metal well though.

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Yeah… watercolor is way easier and better suited for glass! hehe 😉 And true, metal seems made for ink.

8. Gary Middleton 1 month ago

Great picture. I love all the reflections.

9. gimbia99 1 month ago

Great post. I love it.

10. LoriCtoo 1 month ago

Happy Holidays to you too! I’ve enjoyed your black and white sketches this month! It is another form of inspiration put into my brain. These are wonderful with their depth and all!

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks, Lori! 😃💕 Glad you’ve enjoyed these this month… it’s been a fun way to mix things up!

11. Rhoda 1 month ago

I love the ink ones.

12. Ellie 1 month ago

This is so special! I love that you didn’t intend to create friends in globes a globe apart, but there they are. And of course, the connection that for all of the challenges of the internet in our lives, it does bring us together with people on completely different ice floes that we’d never have met otherwise. The ink drawing is amazing, as are you for continuing to bring us together and inspire us, Charlie!

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks so much, Ellie! 😃💕 So thrilled you liked the ink… I didn’t really know how to sketch glass, only paint it, so it was an experiment! And so happy to bring us all together… it’s so much better that way!

13. Sharon Bonin-Pratt 1 month ago

Charlie, it’s always fun to read the titles of your posts and imagine what you’ve doodled. This one was a total and delightful surprise. I like your new sketching technique with a combo of bold and delicate lines. It looks great in black and white and also in color. Despite their glass walls, penguin and polar bear seem to be great friends. I wish everyone across the globe could be as welcoming.

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks, Sharon! 😃💕 Glad you liked this! Yeah, I was surprised by what came out this time as well! Happy you’re enjoying this style, I love drawing so this is extra fun! And yes to everyone being as welcoming. 😉

14. Robert J. Coleman 1 month ago

These ornaments connect the opposite ends of the earth, both of which are under threat by the warming of the earth. I would love to see someone who could make and market them! Maybe Nat Geo or the Sierra Club. Or one of your Doodle Club members! It would be the culmination of the sharing among all of us, you and your readers. Thanks for the inspiration you send out every day!

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Thanks so much, Bob! Glad you enjoyed these ornaments! Physical versions of these would be so cool! 😃💕 So true… I realized I had stumbled upon a few concepts in this one. And a warming earth adds another layer of story. 😉

15. Jill Kuhn 1 month ago

It is hard to draw glass (and paint it!) and you did fabulous with both, Charlie!! 🎨👍😍

Charlie O'Shields 1 month ago

Aww thanks, Jill! 😃💕 Appreciate it! It’s way easier when watercolor does the heavy lifting. Drawing glass is challenging… glad you liked both!

16. ljcillustration 1 month ago

Great work Charlie, I love your little friends

17. smzang 4 weeks ago

Charlie,

You have a Mt. Vesuvius size fire and light bubbling inside of you. It spills over into
    each post you make and in turn washes over your readers. I am ever grateful.
    I love both of these versions of glass. they truly shine!

Charlie O'Shields 4 weeks ago

Thanks so much, Sarah! 😃💕 Thrilled you enjoyed this… and thanks for the sweet compliments.