Beginners to Watercolour

Beginner ART BITS of Interest

This topic contains 211 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 1 month ago.

• Author
     Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

If you have time to listen/watch this in one sitting or over the course of days, it’s worth it. Two fabulous artists, Jane Blundell with Birget O’Connor in one podcast video!

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

It looks like an interesting video, Yvonne. Thank you for sharing!

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

Watching this video today made me wonder … do you “art” with your children or grandchildren or anyone?

At the end of my live stream today, we talked about trying different internet programs to see if we would be able to hang out together on line and do our individual creations.  I hope that’s successful!

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

Sandra it’s incredible!  I’m a big fan of Jane Blundell and her student palette recommendation got me started with watercolour.  I firmly believe as Birget said of Jane that she’s the Queen of Watercolours as her knowledge and understanding of every brand and its pigment line is immense. ❣️

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I have neither children or grandchildren so ‘no’ in my case.  Back in the day though I did ‘art’ with my nieces.  It would be cool if you were able to get together online, and do artwork.  Hopefully, you can find a time that works for everyone.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I love what she came up with for the Daniel Smith Ultimate Mixing Palette.

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@sandra-strait Me too!  It’s different from her own student recommended palette of 20 but the DS set contains pigments extracted from that 20.

I will say though, that IF one were to tell me I had to only choose between the DS Neutral Tint or the DS Jane’s Payne’s Grey, I would choose the Neutral Tint every time.  The other pigments contained within the rest of the set could push that Neutral Tint into every shade needed for shading, whereas the Janes Payne’s Grey would need more fiddling because of its base composites.  I keep both in my main set but find myself grabbing Neutral every time now as I grow into Watercolours more.

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

Ampersand offers some great info on their Aquabords.  I adore Ampersand products for every medium. ❤️

Hints and Tips for Getting the Perfect Watercolor Effects on Aquabord

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Aquabords are great! I haven’t used them lately, but used to use them all the time.  Thanks for sharing this, Yvonne!

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

Yes they are, Sandra!  I have used all but their encaustic and love them.

In fact, I used their Pastelbord on a pastel piece I did on my stream Friday and finished yesterday.  I wish there were more of me, each with a different medium to play with every day. lol

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

I recently tripped over this YT Channel – Art Lovers – which offers the BBC Art Challenges Series.  Awesome entertainment and so full of art education on the whole, no matter the medium, that I just had to share it.

Art Lovers

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Another item for my long, looooong list, lol! Thank you Yvonne!

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@sandra-strait Now see there, Sandra! If you ever were to get sick as often as me, you’d find all kinds of time! lol  I swear, that channel’s line up saved me from going mental (or, more so than norm anyway ☺️)!  I finished up the final series about 2 this morning.

I have come to realize though that not every instructor is best for some individuals.  I hope that we, as budding artists here, will realize that when we are trying to follow an instructor and simply not “getting it” … that it’s not always us being ignorant in our beginner’s innocence and we should try again perhaps with a different instructor.  Also, it’s important to learn basic techniques and then to know which techniques work best for our own individual styles.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

It is so true that not every instructor is right for everyone.  Sometimes, it’s a matter of what you already know and what the instructor expects you to know.  But people also learn differently.  Some people do better with just a little instruction and then time to figure it out on their own.  Some need to be taken through the process in fine detail.  And it’s nothing to do with intelligence but in how we sense and store information.  Even the type of language used can make a difference.  If your instructor uses works and phrases that you don’t often use, it can throw you off, even if you understand the words.

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@sandra-strait Yes – exactly!  👍🏻❤️👏🏻 I’m a visual learner – “don’t tell me, *show* me”!  I guess that’s why YT has been so valuable for me.

Although, there too, I realized that following 50 different YT instructors was confusing me because of each of their unique styles.  I had to stop that, assess which ones were in, or close to in, my style preference of choice and focus on those techniques – especially with reference to glazing which I love.

Now that I’m comfortable with that, I can continue to build my skills at it.  I’m also confident that I can add Charlie’s illustrative style to my skill set, which I want for my journals. I’ve been playing with that while I’m still recovering. 😊

We are so blessed to have such excellent resources and teachers via the internet! 😍

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account