Beginners to Watercolour

Beginner ART BITS of Interest

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 212 total)
  • Author
    Yvonne Reeder
    Participant
    @von

Cathy Johnson is a watercolourist who I’ve been following since before YouTube even existed (Stone Ages! 😂) and shows us how to make a simple, little watercolour travel journal:

Doodlewash Testing
    Participant
    @doodlewash-testing

Test only

Julia Proulx
    Participant
    @julia-proulx

Thanks for the folded journal link Yvonne! I did a test one with copy paper, then one with watercolour paper. The 140 lb paper is really hard to fold. Would dampening it make it any easier? These are so much fun!

Yvonne Reeder
    Participant
    @von

Julia, I think the brand of paper may be at the crux of it.  What type and brand did you try?

Do I recall correctly that she used Frabiano Artistico?  That 140# HP is very smooth and would be more amenable to folding versus even my inexpensive 140# CP Strathmore.  I just got a 140# Canson Montval Aquarelle CP Journal and am testing it today.  It’s a thinner paper than that if my  Strathmore too.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Julia, Yvonne, it is a little hard to find but Strathmore has an Aquarius II brand that is an 80 lb synthetic/cotton blend.  It’s very easy to fold, and I’ve used it for making several journals.  Even though it is a thin & light paper, it doesn’t buckle easily even with heavier washes (though my last purchase buckled more-I’m hoping that was a bad batch).

It does have a different texture.  I really like it, but not everyone does.  Still, its durability combined with it’s weight make it a good choice for  a journal.

Yvonne Reeder
    Participant
    @von

Thank you Sandra!  Great information and I appreciate that you personally can attest to its viability. ❤️  I checked and see that Dick Blick sells it by the single big sheet.  A bit extra for a single sheet with the added fee but still very affordable and would make quite a few journals I should think. 😃

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

My pleasure.  I’m almost at the point where I need to buy more myself.  Please let me know how you like it.  I’m hoping the last batch I got isn’t typical.  I still like it a lot, but I  dislike seeing my favorites change in any way.

Julia Proulx
    Participant
    @julia-proulx

Thanks Yvonne and Sandra, I used a sheet of Canson XL. It didn’t like folding at all. I will look at my local art store for the Strathmore.

Shar Kennett
    Participant
    @shar-kennett

Crazy amount of information on that Schmincke Dot Card video.  I was thinking of investing in some of those paints, and am thinking I should get the dot card first.  Will definitely watch the video again.  Thank you for finding and sharing it!

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Make sure it’s the Aquarius II – Strathmore has many brands of watercolor paper and none of the others is the same.

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Shar, I would definitely recommend trying the dot card first.  I don’t know if you’ve followed on the Schmincke threads here at Doodlewash, but some people love them and some hate them, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot in between.  I love them, but I think they are a brand you need to try for yourself rather than going by anyone’s opinion.

Yvonne Reeder
    Participant
    @von

Oh I’m not sure then that that’s the one DB has.  Let me double check … yes that is the same Aquarius 2 there.  Good to know.  Thank you, Sandra!

To be honest, I’m probably not going to make a travel journal like that, but when I saw it, it just looked like something fun someone here might enjoy. ❤️  I don’t get out of the house often enough to utilize one.  ☺️

Yvonne Reeder
    Participant
    @von

Shar, I was watching an artist this past week who was using them and I could see why they are so popular!  I thought I should get a Schminke dot card too. But then I have a Daniel Smith Dot Card and it’s so pretty I can’t push myself to use it.   I don’t know what the issue is with me and these lovely supplies I have. 😐

I did however, play with my Canson Montval Aquarelle Journal today and my Winsor & Newton Watercolour Markers.  That was very fun.  I have a tiny Porcelain Palette that I used for mixing and that went very well too.  I’m finding solutions to my space and play issues finally. ❤️

Sandra Strait
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Yvonne, I’ve made several of these journals, but it was with 12 x 12 craft papers that make about a 2 x 2 book.  I taped the sections into pockets and inserted bookmarks and photos and things and gave them as giftcards.  I have made a couple from watercolor paper but I’ve that flip you get when you change direction to be a little awkward so I doubt I’ll make more of them.

Yvonne Reeder
    Participant
    @von

@Sandra-Strait Oh yes!!  I’ve made some very like that with 12×12 Scrapbook paper back in my mixed media life!  Prima’s U-Stream had a demonstrator who shows us how to make a tiny mini album folded very like these watercolour travel journals. I did a mock-up test and then a full on with photos of all the great-grandkids for my mother-in-law.  Every flip opened a new pocket or tip out with a photo and caption – all nestled.  She loved it very much.

I guess that’s why I thought these little watercolour journals so fun. 😊

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 212 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account