Beginners to Watercolour

Beginner TECHNIQUE & ISSUES Tutorials

This topic contains 191 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra Strait 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I love Shibasaki’s tutorials.  Thank you for sharing, Yvonne!

Lisa Ann Ulibarri 
    Participant
    @springscreation

Well I guess I need some of this paper lol

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@sandra-strait You are welcome Sandra!  I have such a crush on that guy and love his manner of teaching for a beginner so I’m always happy to share his videos. lol

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@springscreation Lisa, paper can make all the difference sometimes … especially for a beginner.

Our Sandra Strait here, however, can make any paper sing … she’s amazing like that.  lol  I want to be able to do that too someday.  😀

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

Thank you, Yvonne! What I do is try to find out what the paper does best rather than try to make it do just anything.  I enjoy trying to destroy it, lol.  That tells me what limits it has and what might work or won’t.

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

Nicola B. shares a quick tip on holding your brush that may help.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

The ways to hold your brush is something that I think gets neglected a lot.  Excellent video. Thank you for sharing Yvonne!

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@sandra-strait Yes, I agree Sandra.  It can also be an individual thing for some I’m sure, but it never hurts to observe how others hold theirs and try it for one’s self.  Typically, I avoid touching the metal ferrule or (binding material on quills).

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

There are also techniques that work better if you hold the brush farther up the handle, or at right angles to the paper or almost parallel to the page.  Knowing when to use a different grip can make it so much easier to get the effect you want.

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

James Gurney offers some great tips with Gouache:

Yvonne Reeder 
    Participant
    @von

@sandra-strait  Oh for sure, Sandra!  I used the side hold, with a very dry brush, to apply most of the blushes of pink on the rose petals.  It’s a very effective method for areas where you want to “skip” the paint across the surface.

Sandra Strait 
    Participant
    @sandra-strait

I really need to watch this one.  It’s been so long since I did anything with gouache and they were old ones.  Thank you for sharing Yvonne!

Viewing 12 posts - 181 through 192 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2015-2018 Doodlewash®  Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Disclosure  Powered By Wordpress.com

CONTACT US

Want to say hi and connect? Do you make lovely things with watercolor and want to be featured in the next Guest Artist post?! Great! Not sure, just feel the need to say something? Awesome! Just fill out the form below!

Sending

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account