The End Is Only The Beginning

Bird Blue Throated Flycatcher Watercolor Illustration

Today, we’ve reached the grand conclusion of #WorldWatecolorMonth with our prompt of “Favorite Colors.” I love blue and orange most, so I opted for another bird in those colors and a few more added in for effect. This one is from Kerala, India, I believe, and is a blue-throated flycatcher, though, as it turns out, they don’t all have blue throats. In truth, it’s entirely impossible to pick favorite colors or even my favorite bird as they are all so lovely. But, it’s totally possible to pick a favorite month of the year, and that’s certainly July when World Watercolor Month happens! It’s been an amazing month with more watercolors shared across the globe than any of the previous years before! And a huge thanks to everyone who purchased World Watercolor Month Souvenirs in the shop, where 100% of proceeds go to The Dreaming Zebra Foundation. The shop closes tomorrow morning, so there’s a little bit of time left, but you can still donate directly to help underprivileged kids get art supplies from the World Watercolor Month page all year long! And, of course, there’s no reason whatsoever to stop painting and sketching now, so I hope you’ll join us for our August “Travel Fun!” Art Challenge coming up next! (we’re back to drawings as well as watercolor and gouache paintings for this one).

A dear friend asked me if I would be taking a couple of weeks off after such a busy, yet amazing, month. In my mind, I thought, “hell yes!” as that seems exactly what I should be DOing next. But, in reality, and most of you who read my posts will not be at all surprised, I just can’t stop. There’s an adrenaline rush that comes from this month-long celebration of watercolor that is truly incredible. Though I host challenges monthly, there’s nothing quite like the thrill of a challenge that’s, wait for it, almost 15 times higher in participation. That’s crazy, right? It’s wonderful to know so many people around the world came together in this one special month to share their art. My sincere hope, of course, is that many of you will follow my lead and not stop at all. I hope you’ll keep right on creating beautiful things each and every day! Even a little something is better than nothing at all. And, truly, all I offer up each day is a little something. A small little thing I call a doodlewash that I made just moments before I wrote this very post. I simply scanned it in and shared it, without worrying or fussing over the presentation. (seriously though, my scanner is awesome and I highly recommend it! Thanks Philippe for such a fantastic Christmas present!)

In reality, I’m going to be revamping this site on Friday, which will hopefully make our community here a much more intuitive and fabulous place. Yes, it’s all a bit experimental, and I’ve no idea if everything will work out as planned, but that’s the joy of the journey. It’s certainly how one approaches a page in a sketchbook, so I figure, it should work the same for the rest of life. We’re always at our level best in that moment we decide to take chances. There’s always a chance, after all, that something truly wonderful will happen next. And so, instead of taking that break, I’ll also be completing my next book in my Sketching Stuff Activity Book series as well. In my crazy little child-like mind, I don’t see starts and stops, I just see a sea of possibilities. That’s what I hope to bring to all of you! In so many ways, I see this art journey as an endless challenge. There’s always something new to learn and discover along the way! It’s such a thrill for me and, in my childlike exuberance, I hope to make it a thrill for others as well. Don’t stop creating, ever. It’s the best thing you could ever DO in this crazy mixed-up world. And it’s beautiful to know that for one special month we all did it together. So, let’s make every month special by coming together to share what we create. And as each month comes to a close, we can smile at one another knowingly as a community when we realize, that the end is only the beginning.

Da Vinci Paint Co.: Yellow Ochre, Benzimida Orange, Quinacridone Red, Cobalt Turquoise, Terra Cotta, and Cobalt Blue. Lamy Al-Star Safari Fountain Pen with sepia ink in an A5 Hahnemühle Watercolour Book. Want to purchase a print of this doodlewash? Send me a note with a link to this post, and I’ll add it to my shop!
Bird Blue Throated Flycatcher Watercolor Illustration Sketchbook Detail

Great blue bird Charlie. I enjoyed watercolor month but am looking forward to getting back to the smaller doodles for August. Hope you get to take a bit of downtime.

Thanks so much, Karen! 😃💕And so happy you enjoyed World Watercolor Month! Yeah, I should take a break, but you know me… more adventures ahead! Hope you’ll join me!

Wow! Those numbers are wonderful! This WWM has indeed been a ride and I’m already looking forward to the next one!

Thanks, Sandra! 😃💕Yeah, it’s wonderful to see it growing each year. Thanks, in no small part to our community! It’s a fabulous thing indeed!

I posted my last two paintings today, and bought myself a little something in the form of a zippered pouch, so done and done. Congrats on another great July. I have to admit, I love knowing a guy who made a difference. Good on you!

Thanks, Lisa! 😃💕Double thanks on supporting the Dreaming Zebra Foundation! That’s awesome! And yeah, you totally know the guy who started it all… but even better, you’ve seen the art of all of the people who’ve made it into pure magic! 😉

4. StickyMangoRice 3 months ago

This is beautiful! Love it

Congratulations and thank you for a better-than-ever WWM! You’re the reason we’re all here, so stand up and take a bow.

Aww, you’re too sweet, Sharon! 😃💕 Thank you! You know of course, that YOU are the reason I’m here. I’m thrilled to know that this month creates such energy and joy!

6. Carol Hartmann 3 months ago

Lovely bird, Charlie, and thanks for another spectacular WWM!! 🥰😘

Thanks so much, Carol! 😃💕 And so thrilled you enjoyed World Watercolor Month! Yay!

7. Robert J. Coleman 3 months ago

Congrat’s for an outstanding WWM! And such a beautiful bird – the complementary color of blue and orange make it vibrate on the page. Complementaries are interesting: violet and yellow, green and red. We use them for holiday themes, but more so for U.S. football team uniforms! (And orange and blue shines in Florida, for the University of Florida Gators.) It’s cool how they work on and with each other.
    We are all waiting with anticipation to see the updates you will make to Doodlewash. But in all your activity, don’t forget to take a short nap and let your mind catch up. Naps are great!

Thanks, Bob! 😃💕 Yes! Complementary colors are so fascinating! And I really appreciate your comment! I DO need a nap most likely and I swear I’ll take it once I finish up just the few little things I have planned. lol Like redesigning a site and finishing a book. THEN, I’ll nap… he says… without actually believing it. 😊

8. Amelia walters 3 months ago

Love your bird and have very much enjoyed the month having thought at the beginning I would never be able to do it. Just shows what perseverance can do !!! Well done Charlie and can’t wait for the second book……

YAY, Amelia!! 😃💕(Charlie is currently doing a happy dance, but since I prefer podcasts to video, you’ll just have to imagine it! hehe). And yes, I am determined to focus on the second book now… sorry for the delay. My dreams are often way bigger than what I can physically accomplish. But that just makes life way cooler right?

Beautiful bird and a wonderful WWM. It was fun to see all the wonderful paintings!

Thanks so much, Mary! 😃💕 Yeah, World Watercolor Month is so fascinating. It’s a crazy amount of art to enjoy and I adore it every time!

What a lovely bird. Yes it is bittersweet to see July leave, but most of us will still be here. 😉 Congrats on a successful event! Good luck with the change over, computers….never a smooth ride, but looking forward to the new sight!

Thanks so much, Lori! 😃💕 Yeah, World Watercolor Month remains special for the sheer volume of participants. It’s overwhelming in the best way possible! And thanks, wish me luck on the changeover… your crazy host is attempting it tomorrow!! Yikes! lol

11. Ellie 3 months ago

Congratulations, Charlie, on another fantastic WWM!!! Always so much fun and it’s amazing and wonderful to see how participation has grown!! I am looking forward to seeing what you do next with the site. No matter what happens – and with Little Charlie leading the way it will undoubtedly be fantastic – this is the best site around!!

Thanks so much, Elie! 😃💕 Much love to you my friend! Yeah. Little Charlie is crazy in the best way possible. I’m equally excited to see what he makes happen next! lol 😉

12. Laura Kate 3 months ago

Thanks, Charlie, for hosting so much creativity.

My pleasure, Laura! 😃💕 Thank YOU for your wonderful and encouraging comments! I truly appreciate it!

13. Lisa Ann Ulibarri 3 months ago

Love your bird so fabulous!!!!!!! And ty so much for creating WWM!!! This was my first one and so much fun!!! I got my sample too ty so much for helping that happen too. Love it!!! I am so grateful for doodlewash!!! 🙂

Aww Yay!! That makes me so happy to hear! Thanks, Lisa! 😃💕 Thrilled you enjoyed World Watercolor Month and I do, of course, hope I’ve lured you into joining us each and every month for the art challenges here! 😉

14. Jodi 3 months ago

Congrats on a great month, wonderful inspiration, and a job well done!

Aww thanks, Jodi! 😃💕 Thank YOU for being an Artist Ambassador my friend! Love you much!!! We made lots more this year than any year before in the shop!!! YAY!! I love what’s possible when we all come together!

15. Diana Ryman 3 months ago

Thank you so much for hosting the World Watercolor Month, Charlie! I tried it last year and only got part way through the month before I got too far behind to catch up. This year I was determined to stick it out AND to follow your prompts. I did it! Yay! My first full challenge on this! It was fun, but I can’t devote that much time every month, so will go back to my normal mode of operation. At least until I retire this December. 🙂

Oh wow!! YAY, Diana!! 😃💕 That’s SO awesome! Congrats! So based on what you said, I can expect you to jump in when you like for the other Doodlewash monthly challenges, and then when you are SUPER lucky enough to retire join me each and every day, correct? hehe Much love, my friend! ❤️

16. memadtwo 3 months ago

Good job Charlie! Kudos! (K)

Thanks so much, Kerfe! 😃💕 Another World Watercolor Month complete! It’s such a rush! So fun!

17. J.S - WEW 3 months ago

Nice painting and the post is good also.

18. June Hadaway 3 months ago

A beautiful bird and a great month of painting and learning new things from all the wonderful artists participating this year. It’s great to support the kids and young adults at the Dreaming Zebra Foundation too. Thank you, Charlie for all your inspiration, time and beautifful artwork you shared.

Thanks, June! 😃💕 Thrilled you enjoyed World Watercolor Month! It’s such an exciting time. And yay to the cause. It’s wonderful to make a difference in the world as we all come together!