World Watercolor Month Returns In July!! Join Us!!
World Watercolor Month Is A Charitable Event to Support Arts Education.
An annual global charitable event featuring the ultimate challenge of 31 Watercolors is 31 Days! Yes!
That’s right, 31 days when artists around the globe come together to paint the world with beautiful watercolor and help raise awareness for arts education.
History Of World Watercolor Month
LET’S MAKE A SPLASH TOGETHER!
Charlie O’Shields, the creator of Doodlewash®, and host of the Sketching Stuff podcast, founded World Watercolor Month in 2016. His own love of the medium led to the creation of a blog and social artist movement dedicated to promoting and connecting the vast community of watercolor artists all over the world. After hosting a few early art challenges, celebrating various fun and delightfully obscure holidays, it became apparent that there wasn’t an official celebration of the medium we all love. Over 18,000 applications are submitted for “official days” each year and only 30 are added to the calendar so it was a long shot, but the registrars agreed with the cause and now it’s official! July is now and forever World Watercolor Month!
It’s a month to inspire people to paint with watercolor (watercolour, aquarelle) while raising awareness for the importance of art and creativity in the world. And anyone can join the celebration from master watercolorists to artists just starting out with watercolor! Simply tag any art that uses watercolors (or gouache) with #WorldWatercolorMonth during the month of July! Try the ultimate challenge of 31 watercolors in 31 days, or simply post when you can! It’s just about maintaining a regular art practice and having fun!
And, best of all, you’ll be part of raising awareness for art education and helping nurture art and creativity in children across the globe via the International Child Art Foundation! (see more below)
Ways To Celebrate World Watercolor Month
JOIN THE FUN!
Grab some watercolors and make a watercolor painting or sketch each day during the month (or whenever you can join in), and share your work online for others around the world to enjoy! Use the hashtag #WorldWatercolorMonth when posting your art and use it to meet other watercolor artists around the globe!
- TAKE THE ULTIMATE CHALLENGE: 31 Watercolor Paintings in 31 Days!
- It’s even more fun to paint with friends, so plan a picnic or sketch walk in your local city and paint outside together
- Haven’t tried watercolor before? Give it try for the first time this month!
- Have your kids try watercolor painting (and paint with them, of course!)
- Support a watercolor artist you enjoy by purchasing one of their beautiful paintings or products for your home
- Share the watercolor work of other artists you love
- And please consider making a donation to our charitable partner: International Child Art Foundation!
Help Young Artists
Did you know that if a child’s creativity is not nurtured, it could be lost forever? E. Paul Torrance, American psychologist and founder of the Torrance Center for Creativity documented what he called the “4th-grade slump” in the creative lives of children. When children begin school, their level of creativity is evident and often flourishing, but by the time they reach 4th grade, they are more conforming, less likely to take risks, and less playful or spontaneous than in earlier years. This decline in creativity, if not averted, may continue throughout the school years and into adulthood.
That’s why we’re thrilled to announce the official charity for World Watercolor Month this year is International Child Art Foundation (ICAF) which employs the universal language of art to cultivate schoolchildren’s creativity to prepare them for the Fourth Industrial Revolution and develop mutual empathy for a peaceful future. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., ICAF serves American children as their national arts organization and the world’s children as their global arts organization.
Ways to help and participate with ICAF:
- Children (ages 8 to 12) can participate in the 6th Arts Olympiad. Deadline to enter is May 15, 2021. Download the lesson plan to implement at home or inform your child’s art teacher.
- Your family can participate in the 6th World Children’s Festival (WCF) on July 30 – August 1, 2021, at the National Mall across from the U.S. Capitol. Held very four years, WCF is the “Olympics” of children’s imagination and co-creation.
- Performing artists (ages 8 to 18) can apply to showcase their talents on the “World Stage” set up at the National Mall for the WCF.
- Professional artists can sign up to host an activity at the WCF. Click here to learn more!
- If you are interested subscribing to ChildArt magazine, you can click here to review a complimentary issue.
And by purchasing souvenirs in our World Watercolor Month shop which opens in June! 100% of proceeds will go to ICAF!
OUR AMAZING 2021 WORLD WATERCOLOR MONTH OFFICIAL SPONSORS!
What could possibly make the world’s biggest global watercolor event even cooler?! Teaming up with the art brands you love most in order to offer you even more amazing things during the month! From exclusive content, tips, and wonderful information to help you make the most of World Watercolor Month to special savings, fabulous giveaways, and much, much more! A huge thanks to these amazing companies for making this charitable event possible! Please support them by clicking the links below!
Cheap Joe’s Art Stuff | Daler-Rowney | Daniel Smith | Da Vinci Paint Co. | Faber-Castell | Finetec (Royal Talens) | Hahnemühle | Kuretake | Legion Paper | QoR Watercolor | Rembrandt (Royal Talens) | Van Gogh (Royal Talens) | Winsor & Newton | ZenArt Supplies
OUR FABULOUS 2021 WORLD WATERCOLOR MONTH ARTIST AMBASSADORS!
At the heart of World Watercolor Month is the goal to raise money for the International Child Art Foundation and support arts education and our future artists. In 2018, we started a new tradition inspired by my friend Angela Fehr, who generously donated a portion of her classes during the first two years, that we’ve called Artist Ambassadors. In July 2021, these generous artists have donated their beautiful art for limited edition souvenir products where all proceeds go to ICAF and many have pledged to donate a portion of each purchased class, painting, and/or other products on their site to ICAF during the month of July! Click the links below to visit and support these wonderful, generous artists!
WORLD WATERCOLOR MONTH 2021 LOGOS & BADGES
LOGOS & BADGES