What is rutile?

• Hi All, I got the new Schmincke color Rutile Yellow, because I liked it.  I wonder what the “rutile” part means to the paint?  I understand rutile is a mineral, but what does its properties add to the yellow?  Thanks!  Nancy

I really like this color, too.

I found this info: “When used as a pigment, it is called titanium white, Pigment White 6 (PW6), or CI 77891. Generally it is sourced from ilmenite, rutile and anatase. It has a wide range of applications, from paint to sunscreen to food coloring. When used as a food coloring, it has E number E171.”

So in essence, rutile yellow is a white yellow.  The mineral makes the color more opaque as well.

I wonder if the name refers to the color only, or if the paint actually contains that mineral. Daniel smith seems to use the convention of putting “genuine” after color if it’s made from the actual rock. I don’t know the answer to this, just wondering.

Thanks Sandra and Sharon, I think the “white yellow” makes sense, it is kind of a muted yellow color.  I saw another company, I can’t remember which now, has some other “rutile” colors.   Nancy

ahh, now I know why I dislike it! LOL.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.